The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the global development network of the United Nations system that is on the ground in 177 countries, with its Headquarters in New York, USA. The Bureau for Management Services (BMS) is a central Bureau tasked with the development of corporate strategies, policies, tools and systems in key cross-cutting management areas. Drawing on sound analytics and a risk-management approach, BMS supports the achievement of development results through management advice, innovative business solutions, and other corporate services in line with international best practices and evolving needs and expectations of development partners. BMS also ensures policy adherence in operations management within UN Rules & Regulations, safeguarding UNDP’s accountability vis-à-vis Member States and other stakeholders.
The Office of Financial Resources Management (OFRM) performs a pivotal role within BMS and within UNDP’s global finance function, partnering with Bureaux and Country Offices. The primary role of OFRM is to maintain the financial integrity of UNDP through providing financial leadership, supporting the efficient and effective management of its financial resources, promoting financial sustainability and responsible resource allocation in the context of a fluctuating funding environment. This is accomplished by the development and implementation of sound financial policies and practices, oversight of corporate financial management performance, and flexible scalable support to resource allocation. OFRM is a key source of information for the Executive Board, General Assembly, to Partners and wider civil society. It supports transparency through the provision of on time and quality statutory and other financial reports that comply with international standards and regulatory guidelines.
Reporting to the Strategic Management Adviser, the Finance Improvement Project Specialist supports the financial resources management strategies and related improvement initiatives of all Units in OFRM, through providing project management, advice, and coordination support.
Duties and Responsibilities
UNDP seeks an experienced professional to provide expert support to all OFRM Units in the formulation and execution of financial resources management strategies and related improvement initiatives, through providing advice, project management and coordination expertise.
Summary of Key Functions/Results are as follows:
- Project management, advice and coordination support to financial resources management strategies and related improvement initiatives
- Works closely with other managers in OFRM and UNDP on supporting and coordinating improvement initiatives, including the various reform initiatives, broadening shared services for finance processes, finance process and reporting improvements, and enhancing digital platform in the area of finance.
- Prepares business cases and project documents for improvement initiatives
- Supports Units in their business process improvement initiatives, including undertaking detailed analysis, the development of business processes, performance measures, service agreements, Standard Operating Procedures for service lines, and Service Level Agreements for service lines.
- Project planning, coordination and monitoring
- Sets up and maintains the integrated project plan
- Develops and maintain project management tools including critical path views, risk logs, status reports, and overall progress metrics
- Prepares quarterly project status reports and presentations
- Implements change management process, including formulating communications, overseeing training plans
- Coordinates with managers in OFRM and other relevant units on the roll-out of these strategies throughout UNDP
- Provides strategic and advisory support to all OFRM units, colleagues in Regional Bureaus as well as Country Offices on financial resources management strategies and related improvement initiatives
- Undertakes root cause analysis on oversight issues, with a view to recommending opportunities for systemic improvements
- Analyzes best practices and current and emerging trends in strategic financial management, including digitization of the finance processes and functions, and supports UNDP’s effort to launch relevant and emergent financial management strategies, approaches and policies that enhance the organization’s efficiency and effectiveness
- Working closely with other managers in OFRM, provides advice and expertise to respective teams involved in financial management strategy and improvement initiatives, including the various reform initiatives.
- Works closely with relevant partner in Regional Bureaux, Country Offices, and other units in OFRM and BMS to support design, formulation, and implementation of the initiatives.
- Provides advisory support to all OFRM units and relevant colleagues in UNDP on inter-agency coordination in the area of strategic financial planning and related reform initiatives as necessary
- Provides analysis and advice to CFO in his/her interagency coordination efforts and related technical bodies,
- Provides substantive support and representation at conferences, high-level meetings, joint programme development, joint advocacy and resources in relation to financial planning and reform matters, as necessary.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall success of OFRM Unit’s transformation initiatives and its ongoing efforts to improve the effectiveness of the financial management strategies and functions of the entire organization.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting, and/or a professional accounting qualification recognized institute of accountancy or CFA.
- Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy or CFA qualified applicants will have a distinct advantage.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant financial management experience, including change management
- Proven experience in the area of consulting, client-oriented work, and critical assessment.
- Project management experience in financial management improvement initiatives, including business process re-engineering, business process outsourcing, blueprinting of the finance system, or other similar initiatives, highly desirable.
- Experience in the use of information/digital technology tools for financial analysis and the blueprinting of financial systems/finance modules or Enterprise resource planning (ERP) is required;
- Experience in preparing written report, preferably in the area of financial management
- Working experience in an International Organization, preferably in the area of international development, is desirable.
- Knowledge of UN system, structures, policies, and procedures is considered an asset.
- Strong written and spoken English language skills.
- A second UN language desirable.