Background Information - UNOPS:
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific:
- The Finance Intern reports to the Finance Specialist who provides broad supervision and guidance to the IPAS Finance team.
- The Finance Intern will support the team on a wide range of finance processes, having hands-on practical daily work and operations as well as being on the front line with internal and external parties such as colleagues in HQ and in the field offices. The Finance Intern will be responsible for delivering the assigned tasks in a collaborative, timely and efficient manner.
- The Finance Intern will have great opportunities for learning and expanding knowledge and experience within the areas of finance as well as process improvements and system developments.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support the Advisory, Monitoring & Oversight and Banking & Treasury Operations teams
- Assist in finance related knowledge management activities
- Take part to the implementation of team projects
SUPPORT THE ADVISORY, MONITORING & OVERSIGHT AND BANKING & TREASURY OPERATIONS TEAMS:
- Support the different teams on a wide range of tasks related to reconciliation and analysis of financial data.
- Assist with monthly, quarterly and yearly closure exercise in regards to data collection, review and analysis.
- Assists with compilation and consolidation of data.
- Communicates with colleagues/clients on areas requiring verification, corrections, additional information.
- Reviews supporting documents ensuring completeness and accuracy.
- Assists in drafting reports and minutes during the meetings.
- Provides support on ad-hoc matters.
ASSIST IN FINANCE RELATED KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT ACTIVITIES:
- Assists with development of training materials and guidance notes.
- Supports with system development and process improvement initiatives
TAKE PART TO THE IMPLEMENTATION OF TEAM PROJECTS:
- Provide support in the development of finance innovative solutions
- Support the development and maintenance of the unit’s intranet page.
Impact of results:
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency and success of the IPAS Finance team in its goal
to serve the field offices, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges.
Timely, accurate and strategic guidance and advisory from IPAS ensures the appropriate delivery of services
of UNOPS projects and enhance UNOPS credibility in use of financial resources.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a university degree such as a Bachelor, Masters, or have graduated within three years prior to the application date of the internship.
- The preferred candidate would have a degree in or pursuing studies in the areas of finance, economics, business, accounting, administration, management, international relations or other related areas.
- Experience in office software packages (word, power point) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet (Excel)
- Experience in use of ERP system is an asset
- Experience in use of SharePoint is an asset
- Experience in use of Google Suite is an advantage
- Full working knowledge of English
- Desirable working knowledge of French and/or Spanish
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset