Norwegian Refugee Council, Ethiopia
Closing Date for Applications:
NRC in the East Africa & Yemen Region prides itself on being a leader in the service of refugees, internally displaced people and displacement communities. We strive to be a rapid responder and a pioneer in Hard to Reach areas. We unlock durable solutions and make deliberate efforts towards a more sustainable impact in our programming.
We aim to deliver the best possible service through commitment to our regional hallmarks: evidence based programming; advocating for change; cash based programming; driving innovation; collaborating with other actors for greater impact; integrating our programmes to achieve synergy and maximum efficiency; and valuing staff diversity.
NRC's Ethiopia Country Office is looking for an experienced Finance Manager to join their team in Addis Ababa. The Finance Manager is responsible for ensuring the financial set-up is according to NRC standards, maintaining overall budget control, leading the finance team in Addis, and providing support and training to managers and staff with financial responsibilities. This role is in one of NRC's largest country programmes in the East Africa & Yemen Region, and will support 7 Area Offices with diverse geographic and programmatic spreads.
- Ensure that adequate financial management routines and systems are in place, and that NRC’s accounting practices and standards are adhered to
- Maintain overall budget control and monitor cash flows and expenditures.
- Provide up-to-date analysis and reports
- Ensure that appropriate control mechanisms are in place across the country programme and that financial risk is minimized.
- Contribute to the development of strategic and operational plans
- Be the main driving force for NRC’s transparency and anti-corruption work within the country programme.
- Build strong and effective relationships with the logistics/procurement and HR/admin staff in all offices to enable a good flow of information
- Establish and oversee a safe, robust and easily retrievable financial documentation and filing system for both hard and soft copies.
- Reconcile accounts with NRC HQ in Oslo on agreed dates.
- Develop capacity of the Country Office and the Area Office finance teams to ensure that they meet NRC’s finance and grants management operating standards
- Lead and develop the Country Office finance team.
- Bachelors Degree/First Level University Degree in Accounting or similar field
- Minimum 5 years of experience from working as a Financial Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Strong people management skills, with the ability to lead and manage the performance of a team
- Solid knowledge of computer software and modern accounting systems particularly Agresso
- Previous experience internationally, in similar capacity
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge/ experience of the Ethiopian context is an advantage
- Experience of working with large institutional donors
- Strong technical financial skills
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to engage at all levels
- Ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments