The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We protect displaced people and support them as they build a new future. We started our relief efforts after World War Two. Today, we work in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. We specialise in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene.
We stand up for people forced to flee. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. We promote and defend displaced people's rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena. NRC’s Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva is a global leader in monitoring, reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
We respond quickly to emergencies.Our expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within 72 hours. Our experts help improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
Around 6,000 men and women work for the Norwegian Refugee Council.Most of us are hired locally to work in the field, and a small number are based at our head office in Oslo. Many of our colleagues were once themselves fleeing their homes.
The Norwegian Refugee Council's Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Ethiopia in 2011. Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced in Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and South Central), Kenya (Dadaab,& Kakuma ), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire,Gambella and Asosa), South Sudan (Juba, Awil, Alek and Aweril) and Yemen (Sa’naa and Aden).
The Regional office is seeking to recruit Finance Officer for the Regional Office who will be responsible for ensuring timely payment of cash and bank transactions in Nairobi for the regional office and general support to country offices in the Region.
- Proper control of the supporting documents through review of payment requests submitted for processing
- Ensure that cash requested are duly approved before release of the payments and make follow-up for the liquidations of the advances.
- Ensure that proper record of finance vouchers of both cash and bank payments are properly maintained at all times
- Maintenance of the internal control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and travel claims, are duly processed.
- Input of all payments through Agresso invoice registration module
- Ensure that the data for posting is well organized in the correct post back format for ease of posting
- Ensure that regular cash counts are done properly.
- Verify and ensure that correct coding of expenditure on all payment Vouchers, Purchase Orders and Purchase Requests is done.
- Ensuring that staff Advances and returns and claims conform to NRC standards and laid down policy before approval is done.
- Timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents.
- Monthly Clearing of entries from other countries
- Prepare overview of running costs for the regional and follow up with the administration officer for the payment of regional costs (utilities)
- Prepare schedule of telephone bills and request reimbursement of private calls by the regional staff.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations (Cash & bank) for the regional office accounts
- Induction of new staff joining the regional office
- Audit support (providing sampled support documents and responding to relevant audit queries)
- Finance support to country offices on need basis
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or related field
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Finance with an NGO
Education field: Finance / Economics
Education level: College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Good knowledge of financial reporting systems
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently with strong team player skills
- Very strong computer based financial analysis skills
- Strong cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to finalize work on time without compromising on Quality
- Good hands on experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint.