Basic Summary of Functions:
Working under the supervision of the Senior Finance Officer, the Finance Officer’s primary role is to support the Finance Department with standard fiscal operating procedures linked to: financial reporting, financial record keeping; preparation of the monthly financial reports sent to Headquarters; processing of travel and general procurement related invoices, claims, advances etc.; as well as the preparation of monthly VAT claims. S/he shall also serve as a support to the Finance team in terms of establishment of vendor accounts as well as partaking in necessary vendor liaison linked to procurement exercises undertaken by the FHI 360/Zimbabwe Office. S/he shall conduct general financial functions as requested in support of the maintenance of an updated and easily accessible filing system as a result of fulfilling the above duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Finance and Operations team to ensure smooth operation of all financial matters.
- Ensure that all financial data for the office is recorded in the financial system accurately, timely and completely.
- Ensure the integrity and quality of the data in the financial database. This includes and not limited to reviewing, analysis of the various general ledger accounts and alert relevant staff of any irregularities.
- Reviewing petty cash for the district offices and ensuring timely replenishment.
- Ensuring that all transactions are adequately authorized and properly supported.
- Assist with ensuring that all month-end entries are captured in the accounting system.
- Initiating payments for processing in the accounting and banking systems.
- Compiling of monthly VAT claims for submission to USAID.
- Sending of payment confirmation to the Administration team and following up on invoices and receipts for processed payments.
- Perform monthly review of receivable accounts and follow up on long outstanding advances to ensure timely reconciliations and recommend appropriate action in a timely manner.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building to technical staff, including interpretation of policies, setting up of systems and resolution of outstanding issues.
- Assist with the preparation of month-end close reports.
- Conduct other general finance office functions as may be requested.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- A customer-friendly attitude and an ability to cope with work-related stress
- Proven proactive skills in identifying cost savings, cost avoidance and efficiency opportunities.
- Ability to develop effective work plan and priorities in order to meet business objectives.
- Demonstrated expertise in building effective relationship with key internal customers and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated knowledge in pricing, contracts negotiations, conflict resolutions, policies and procedures.
- Good analytical, numerical and mature problem solving skills.
- Ability to adapt easily to changing needs and patterns of work.
- Excellent report writing and documentation skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Demonstrated experience in working with Accounting Packages such as Pastel, AccPac, Quick Books or any other Accounting Software
- Ability to manage and work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Good team player, positive attitude, flexible mind, comfortable in working in a multi-cultural setting.
- Strong sense of ethics, integrity, credibility, and respect for diversity.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and management with diplomacy and firmness.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25%.
Qualifications and requirements:
- BAcc/BCom/BTech degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalent, coupled with 1 - 3 years post qualification relevant experience.
- Recently Graduate of ACCA, CIMA, ICSA, SAA, IAC or any other relevant professional qualification with 1-3 years post qualification will be relevant.
- Familiarity with U.S. Government grants or other donor funded programs
- Contracting and auditing standards as they apply to effective management of multi-year funds will be an added advantage.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.