Purpose of the Job:
Livelihood projects support the economic integration and income security of displaced Afghans (i.e. returnees and internally displaced people (IDPs)) and extremely vulnerable host community members) through market infrastructure development (including cash-for-work), support to employment service companies and job placements, small enterprise start-ups, and creation of salaried jobs by supporting business growth of existing micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
The Finance Officer will help implement and monitor NRC’s financial management activities related to livelihood project in the northern region. The finance role will be provision of support to (MSMEs) to access loan/pay loan interest and cash grants. The Finance Officer role is to assist in day to day implementation of financial responsibilities as defined below:
Such as verification of all financial documents, payments, preparing monthly financial reports, tax reports, recording financial record (Soft/Hard).
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure to adhere to Financial Handbook, NRC policies, donor and auditor requirements
- Implement NRC’s financial systems, routines and procedures
- Maintain overall budget control and monitor cash flows
- Management of financial team
- Training of line managers and staff with financial responsibilities
- Provide regular analysis and reports
- Implement anti-corruption policy
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Manage all finance-related tasks for Livelihoods & Food Security (LFS) projects in Mazar, in particular:
- Tasks related to provision of technical and financial support to micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) under LFS projects:
- Support the selection of and monitoring of supported MSMEs, in particular by checking MSMEs’ financial documents and reports and participating in the MSME tender process.
- Help supported MSMEs to access loans from banks/ micro-finance institutions, in particular by helping them put together loan application and supporting documents.
- Process financial support provided by NRC to support MSMEs, as per the installment schedule and contract between NRC and each MSME. Including checking all required financial and technical documents before processing each installment.
- Tasks related to small enterprise start-up activities, in particular transferring cash grants to beneficiaries/ startups though mobile money
- Tasks related to payment of construction companies contracted under LFS projects.
- Perform all other finance-related task for LFS Projects, including:
- Monitor, adjust and report budgets and expenditures for all LFS activities on a monthly basis, working closely with the LFS Project Manager.
- Prepare bimonthly forecast for LFS projects, obtain an approval from Area Manager and then send to Kabul finance for final approval - working closely with the LFS Project Manager.
- Ensure the inclusion of cash-based interventions and marked based programmes in country and area-based strategies and their implementation across and within NRC’s core competencies
- Provide an enabling environment for the implementation of cash-based interventions, including multi-purpose cash assistance, emergency cash responses.
- Verify payments to contractors, & other payments as stipulated in the contract/agreement(s) & in line with NRC financial policies and procedures.
- Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Maintain all financial records properly (hard copy and soft version).
- Verify all purchase requests and cash advances.
- Establish control for the prevention of waste, fraud, and mismanagement.
- Correct errors in report as and when necessary.
- Induction training to newly hired staff when needed.
- Monthly reporting to Finance Coordinator related to finance section activities.
- Request SO for transferring the money from SO to Mazar office bank account.
- Bachelor degree in Economics, Business Administration, Business Management & Finance.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in the banking/ micro-finance sector in Afghanistan
- Experience working in Finance in an international organization
- Knowledge of Security context in Northern region.
- Strong computer skills (proficiency in Microsoft Office and Microsoft Excel is mandatory)
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Experience in web-based financial software
- Highly proficient in Excel
- Creativity, curiosity and willingness to try new things and to challenge the status quality
- A positive and collaborative attitude and willingness to work in a team