World Vision, Zimbabwe
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Purpose of the Position:
To assist the Grant Accountant in performing grant accounting and budgetary functions for assigned Grants ensuring conformity with World Vision International reporting requirements and the stringent compliance standards established by each donor or government or regulatory agency to minimize incidences of any disallowed costs and/or significant expenditure variances.
- Financial Planning and Management
- Continuously analyse partner accounts reconciling their reports to the funding advanced to them and ensuring that the reports submitted by partners are in line with their approved budgets and donor regulations.
- Receive funding forecasts from partners and incorporating those into the grant funding forecast.
- Implement a spending tracking system to make sure all expenses are within budget before signing any requisition.
- Participate and take minutes during Financial Report review meetings with the Executive Officers and advise of any deviations from planned spending, with recommendations for corrective actions to avert variances that are outside of the donor flexibility rules.
- Analyse and follow up for clearance, any balance sheet items (for example, employee150 accounts, sub grantee accounts, amounts in accruals account, prepayments/deposits and any program receivables) that relate to the assigned grants.
- Prepare and/or review coding on vouchers (journals and payments vouchers) for valid account, cost center, donor combinations and if not the originator, recommend necessary adjustments to the originator.
- Assist in raising grant related journals, reviewing grant specific payments and ensuring that all expenses incurred are reported on.
- Keeping track of all tenders, reconciling part deliveries and part payments until a specific tender is fully paid and closed.
- Maintain grants specific asset Registers
Donor Compliance Management
- Advise the Grant Accountant, program managers, officers and key stakeholders of key grant contractual clauses, and ensure that all transactions and business processes do not violate those clauses.
- Maintain a file of all key sub-grantee documents, and make sure they are easily accessible whenever needed.
- Facilitate internal and external audits and donor compliance visits/assessments as may be required in any grant agreement.
- Monitor sub grantees, if any, and ensure that they meet all conditions of the sub agreement and the general donor requirements, including timeliness of reports, quality of reports, sound business processes and adherence to own policies and procedures.
- Participant in National Office and GC audits as may be required.
Leadership, Personnel and Capacity Building
- Set performance objectives with subordinates and give regular feedback, with formal reviews every six months, or as may be prescribed by P&C from time to time.
- Identify capacity building needs for staff, and recommend necessary trainings or studies, whether self-funded or by WV, in line with existing policies.
- Assist the Grant Accountant in conducting on the job grants financial management trainings for subordinates and non-Finance personnel working on assigned grants.
- Conduit grant compliance capacity building to sub-grantees through quarterly review visits and other structured capacity building activities.
Administration, Supply Chain
- Maintain a program specific asset register, and ensure that it agrees with both the ledger and the master assets register maintained by the Administration Department. This can be achieved by doing quarterly asset reconciliations.
- Participate in tender meetings and/or processes that relate to the assigned grants.
- Ensure compliance with WVZ guidelines, and the FFM on grant start up and closeout procedures.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Degree in Accounting. A professional qualification such as ACCA or CIMA will be an advantage.
- 2 years working experience in a similar role.
- In-depth working knowledge of accounting software packages, especially Sun Systems, Vision XL and Vision Executive.
- Excellent computer literacy skills, especially in MS Excel.
- In-depth working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the WVI FFM.
- In-depth working knowledge of grant accounting.
- Knowledge of how to prepare, review, and present financial statements and financial reports.
- Good analytical skills.
- Ability to understand connections between financial and operational issues.