Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free .
The part-time Finance Officer will be responsible for the general financial administration of private and US-government funded grants in Freedom House's Lithuania field office, including, but not limited to: expenditure recording and reporting, monthly expenditure projection and drawdowns, enforcement of USG compliance regulations on expenditures, and liaising with the HQ Finance Department on financial administration issues. This position is based in Vilnius, Lithuania and reports to the Project Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration or related field
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, Lithuanian AND Russian, both verbally and in writing
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi-task to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error free work
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Minimum one year of relevant experience in progressive accounting and grants administration required
- Prior experience working with NGO accounting preferred
- Experience working in an HQ/Field setting preferred
- Experience encompassing Accounts Payable, General Ledger, transaction analysis, budgeting, and account reconciliation preferred
- Familiarity with OMB Circulars A-110, A-122, and A-133 a plus
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Record field office expenses by allocating costs to appropriate projects in accordance with the organizational and grant-specific compliance policies
- Execute payments to vendors
- Execute and reconcile cash advances to staff
- Perform all reporting functions to the HQ, including the preparation of monthly drawdown requests and field office financial reports, and responding to HQ Finance Department's inquiries
- Review sub-grant reports to ensure compliance with funder regulations and Freedom House’s policies and procedures
- Maintain an accurate filing system of supporting documentation for all financial transactions in the office
- Ensure field office’s compliance with tax regulations of the Republic of Lithuania
- Respond to the inquiries from the HQ Finance Department in preparation of internal and donor audits
- Other related duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands: Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.