The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC is looking for an experienced Finance Officer for its new programs in Cameroon.
The purpose of this position is the daily management of project activities to ensure that operations comply with NRC standards and procedures.
- Daily supervision of finance assistants
- Reconciliation of NRC bank accounts and cash boxes
- Establish a good tracking system for advances and ensure that clearance of advances is done on time.
- Ensure that weekly, monthly finance reports are prepared on time.
- Daily verification of POs, PRs Bid Analysis, per diem claim and other documents within the finance officer threshold
- Verify that all transactions have complete supporting documents and ensure that all costs are timely booked into Agresso on a daily, weekly and monthly basis
- Support to ensure month end closure is completed according to the timeline provided in the finance handbook
- Support to verify the monthly National Staff Payroll and posting
- Follow up to ensure prompt processing of daily vendor payments and Ensure that all supporting documents are complete and accurate before payment is done.
- Ensure that all supporting documents are complete and accurate before payment is done.
- On a monthly basis ensure all deductions are timely remitted to statutory authority according to the provision of the law.
- Collaborate with the financial institutions to ensure that queries related to payments are timely resolved (return payments, under/over payments of staff, suppliers and contractors incorrect account details etc)
- Support the Finance Manager facilitate monthly BVA meetings, Project summary and spending plans
- Facilitate daily cash counts and safeguard of cash in the office.
- Facilitate audit activities
- Perform other related tasks that will be assigned by line manager
- Experience from working as a Finance officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good skills in Excel and Word
- Good knowledge of accounting packages; preferably (Agresso) UNIT4 Business
- Good knowledge to initiate finance SOPs
- Knowledge of Sahel region is an advantage.
- Fluency in French and working knowledge of English
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in similar position preferably with an international NGO
- Minimum of BSc and a professional accountancy certificate like the ACCA, CPA etc a master degree in related field would constitute a plus.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect