DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Area Manager the Area Office Finance Team Leader supports in day to day routine Financial duties, review budget/budget revisions and other duties as per the JD and is the lead Focal point for the area office finance staff. Finance Team Leader also acts as “Technical Focal Points” to area office finance and program staff on Finance aspects.
Accountable for people management of all finance staff including conducting performance appraisals (closely overseen by the next-level manager).
Accountable for ensuring that agreed work plans and tasks set by the next-level up Manager are implemented on time:
Accounting / Finance
- Prepare/Review payment journals and invoices in DRC Dynamics for completeness and accuracy before forwarded to Country Office (CO).
- Review & submit IDRAs to Country Office and update the bank signatories, as and when required.
- Monitor the liquidity levels of the offices and ensure that the cash requests are submitted through DRC Dynamics on time as per the deadlines.
- Review monthly payroll and allocation for Time sheets for all staff.
- Review X’s and follow up with the staff to ensure advances are cleared within approved time frame.
- Reconcile the X’s on monthly basis and forward to Country Offices as per the deadline.
- Ensure all X’s are settled for closing projects within liquidation period.
- Ensure the supporting documents are scanned on monthly basis and forwarded to Country Finance Specialist as per the provided deadlines.
- Review Area Office Finance payment documentation for accuracy and compliance with DRC/Donor guideline procedures and payment checklist.
Budgeting and Reporting
- In coordination with the AM Develop annual budgets for DDG/DRC office and Master budget on monthly basis and ensure all data are accurate.
- In Coordination with AM, conduct Monthly BFU/TDL reviews meeting & monitor actual spending and advice AM/Program team to avoid overspend and plan on underspending, clearing of outstanding advances.
- Contribute and support on preparation of donor budgets with support AM.
- Ensure the TDL’s are cleaned for donor reporting and inform Country Finance Specialist.
- Ensure partner cash books are reviewed and uploaded on DRC Dynamics on monthly basis, review all supporting documents, scan vouchers and submit to Country Finance Specialist.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Review Area office scanned documents before forwarding to Country Finance Specialists.
- Conduct regular compliance checks on Area offices.
- Ensure the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building also provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance. If additional support is required coordinate with CO Finance Specialist.
- Support the Country Finance Team in internal and external audit process.
Local Tax management
- Coordinate with Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC/DDG is in compliance with same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis.
- Coordinate with HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments within your area of support. This included taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
- Support the Finance to coordinate with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
- Keep Head of support service, Finance Manager, Country Finance Specialists and Head of HR/Administration informed of the latest developments.
Education, experience & technical competencies
- University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration or three-five years DRC/DDG experience in Finance/Accounting work combined with Diploma/Technical certificate in Finance/Accounting.
- At least three year’s work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an NGO or the commercial sector.
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
- Experience in preparation of Donor budgets for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN donors will be an advantage.
- Ability to prepare basic training to Finance/Program staff.
- Strong proficiency in English, both written and spoken, minimum level 3 (i.e. High Intermediate level of English)
- Fluency in spoken and written Somali is required.