The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation, and hygiene sectors. The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 9000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs.
The purpose of this position is to support the finance department in Erbil on the day to day financial, accounting, and payment activities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to the plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Process day to day payment in cash and banks (Suppliers, cash advances, staff etc.) ensuring all the supporting documents adhere to NRC Financial Regulations
- Manage and control travel advances of staff traveling in the region, ensuring all advances are properly cleared at the end of the month
- Manage petty cash cashbook and ensure daily recording of expenditures
- Perform weekly cash counts, cash inventory at the end of the month and bank reconciliations
- Responsible for filing the vouchers and other financial documents in NRC’s standard filing system
- Prepares all supporting documents for monthly external accounting and tax reports
- Responsible for defining Agresso Master data for AO4 office
- Ensure all monthly prepaid expenses are closed and properly allocated to projects
- Prepare monthly cash request for Erbil office
- Experience from working in a finance role preferably in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Business administration or Finance related field
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office package.
- Knowledge of any accounting system will be an asset
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile.
- Very good knowledge of English
- Handling an insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect