Financial Information Officer
United Nations Secretariat, New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the Business Application Support (BAS) team, Finance Risk Management Service (FRMS), Office of the Programme Planning, Finance and Budget (OPPFB) of Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC).
The BAS team serves Treasury of the United Nations. The financial Information Officer reports to the team lead.
Within delegated authority, the Financial Information Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides business analysis and technical direction for planning, implementing and supporting Treasury business processes and financial information systems, in particular SWIFT, EastNets (SideDb), Exchange rates, daily bank monitoring, BI reporting, interfaces between SWIFT Network (using SWIFT Alliance and SWIFT FileAct) and Umoja (UN’s ERP system) including but not limited to the bank statements load and payment instructions load: in PACS 08 and PAIN01 (ISO 20022 format) as well as in FIN format.
- Analyzes industry best practice in business processes, and design and manage the implementation of new methods of work with departmental or organizational scope that increase the efficiency and effectiveness of financial operations;
- Evaluates existing systems and identify the need for new systems (or modifications to existing systems); selects options for solving system and workflow problems and proposes the most suitable solutions based upon functional and economic considerations;
- Plans, supervises and participates in all phases of the systems development lifecycle for Treasury applications, through the negotiation and development of design change documentation;
- Negotiating with Users and the technical teams to enable their completion; specifying test plans and testing methodologies; undertaking and supervising the various phases in the testing lifecycle, and authorizing the migration of changes through the development cycle;
- Provides day-to-day problem solving services for complex Treasury issues to clients; document system problems and prioritize them; identifies problems and irregularities in Treasury operations and completed transactions, resolving them in a timely and effective manner; where data has been corrupted, to propose resolutions and data fixes following best practice; writes work procedures for systems and/or specific business events;
- Creates complex ad-hoc reports and performs data analysis using SQL database applications; proposes improvements to existing systems and standard reports based upon user demand;
- Advanced university degree (Masters degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, finance, information technology or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A combination of Finance degree with the focus on Information Technology Systems is desirable.
- A minimum of five years of experience in finance, accounting, budget or business administration, information systems management or a related area is required.
- Experience in planning, implementation and support of financial systems is required.
- Experience in programming in one of the main scripting languages PHP, Perl, VB, or any other similar programing language is required.
- Experience in finance systems analysis and development is desirable.
- Experience in web, database and server technologies used in deploying systems is desirable.
- Experience in report writing using tools like BI is desirable.
- Experience in supporting SWIFT or similar payment system is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.