Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty.
The Financial Sector Economist will provide technical inputs and analyses in the identification, design, processing, administration, and evaluation of loan and technical assistance (TA) projects, and non-lending products and services (NLPS) to support financial sector and public sector management in the Division's regional developing member countries (DMCs). The position will engage with DMC governments and other stakeholders on financial sector, public finance, macroeconomic and fiscal policy issues, reforms and initiatives, with the objective of ensuring economic soundness and consistency with sector policies and strategies; and ensure compliance with ADB's policies, operations manual, project administration instructions, and assistance-related documentations. The incumbent will work closely with internal teams and resource departments, and externally with clients on broad policies and objectives, with supervision for critical tasks. The incumbent will report to the Director, CWPF and may supervise National and Administrative staff.
- Support and contribute to project identification, preparation, appraisal, and documentation, on financial sector development, public finance, macrofiscal policies, state-owned enterprise reforms, private public partnerships, domestic resource mobilization ensuring compliance with ADB's policies, operations manual, project administration instructions, and related documentation.
- Participate in dialogue with government officials and other stakeholders on financial sector development, public finance, macrofiscal policies, state-owned enterprise reforms, private public partnerships, domestic resource mobilization issues and projects.
- Conduct economic, social, and sector analyses such as identification and analysis of macroeconomic and financial sector trends, policies, and development constraints.
- Ensure sustainability, best practices (including use of technology), safety, and efficiency are realistically incorporated in project design for effective implementation.
- Provide guidance to borrowers/clients, and assist in formulating, planning, and preparing high quality documents related to projects and programs.
- Execute above functions as a Project Team Leader (PTL) or Project Team Member (PTM) for loans and TA projects with high levels of risk and complexity.
- Coordinate with resident missions (RMs) for consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of practices and integration of sector policy commitments to the management of projects.
- Address issues raised by direct and indirect stakeholders as well as queries, comments, and suggestions from internal review including from senior management.
- Ensure achievement of intended project outputs and outcomes in a timely manner, ensuring projects and programs comply with policy and document requirements during implementation.
- Participate in sector and thematic networks related to the financial sector, public finance, governance, and related issued to keep abreast of the latest developments and issues. Serve as a focal point for coordination with other divisions/departments concerning the sector.
- Contribute to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge sharing around financial sector and public finance issues, including contribution to knowledge products.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's degree, or equivalent, in economics, finance, or other related fields.
- Minimum of 8 years relevant professional experience in the financial sector or public finance including international work experience.
- Extensive knowledge of financial sector and public finance in Asia. Significant expertise within a specific area of financial sector and public management operations, or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
- Proven experience as team lead/ member for processing or administration of loan and TA projects and holding policy dialogue related to the financial sector and public finance.
- Good understanding and experience of the full project cycle and tasks needed in the preparation of various project modalities including policy-based programs, results based program, sector development programs and investment projects including program identification and conceptualization, analysis of relevant policies, preparing studies, diagnostics, and reports, and coordination with external stakeholders, consultants, and government agencies.
- Good skills and experience in coordinating and working with teams of professionals such as for technical, social and environmental safeguards, economic assessments and procurement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proficient or advanced competency level in Client Orientation, Achieving Results and Problem Solving and Knowledge Sharing.
- For other competencies, relevant to the position, please refer to thelinkfor ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Levels .