Fixed Asset Management Officer
Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), Beirut, Lebanon
Closing Date for Applications:
Within delegated authority, the Fixed Asset Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Oversees the proper maintenance of the fixed asset register by recording information related to fixed assets and ensuring the accuracy and integrity of such information. Information includes but is not limited to: (a) Data relating to the stewardship and control of fixed assets; (b) costs related to the acquisition and disposal (including transfers and retirement) of fixed assets; (c) expenditure related to fixed assets; (d) depreciation charges; and (e) impairment charges.
- Ensures the accurate compilation of asset under construction (AUC) project costs into fixed asset accounts, and close out those accounts once the related AUC has been completed;
- Ensures the accurate tracking of existing fixed assets and implements and monitors the periodic physical verification review process;
- Investigates if conditions of potential impairment of fixed exist and implements and monitors the annual impairment review process and the resulting adjustments in accounting entries;
- Investigates the potential obsolescence of fixed assets and implements and monitors the annual useful life review process;
- Coordinates with property appraisal focal points to ensure that property values are complete and accurate;
- Undertakes analysis for fixed assets on a regular basis and oversees the proper maintenance of financial records in accordance with IPSAS Policy Framework and related UN IPSAS policies. Activities include but are not limited to: (a) Posting depreciations, impairments, revaluations, asset retirement obligations (AROs) and AUC project costs; (b) Reviewing and updating detailed schedules including annual additions and disposals, accumulated depreciation, and roll-forward tables; (c) Closing out accounts at year-end and supporting reconciliation of accounting balance of fixed assets; (d) Preparing audit schedules relating to fixed assets, assisting in the preparation of financial statements and footnotes, and assisting auditors in their inquiries; (e) Maintaining fixed asset sub ledgers including data entry or import of capital equipment into fixed asset sub ledgers and review of supporting documentation, as needed; (f) confirming the accuracy and completeness of fixed asset records including system updates, manual journal entries, account reconciliations, and analyses.
- Maintains the fixed asset accounting framework established by Headquarters and detailed in standard operating procedures (SOPs) by: (a) Engaging with other stakeholders to ensure proper and efficient accounting methods as well as understanding their business needs as it pertains to fixed asset accounting transactions and reports; (b) Ensuring compliance with Headquarters’ policy relating to fixed assets; (c) Developing and maintaining fixed asset accounting procedures in accordance with Headquarters’ guidelines; (d) Reviewing, documenting and improving existing guidelines and instructions for all fixed asset related processes.
- Ensures accuracy and integrity of information in fixed asset register by: (a) Monitoring the established system of controls, procedures and forms for the recording of fixed assets; (b) Implementing SOPs monitoring key performance indicators (KPIs), and analyzing financial records; (c) Monitoring compliance with accounting and business policies.
- Supports the capital budgeting function. Activities include but are not limited to: (a) Reconciliation of actual expenditures against budgeted amounts and budget performance analysis conducted by a finance team; (b) Provision of inputs into budget estimates and capital budgeting preparation.
- Supports the strategic property management function. Activities include but are not limited to: (a) making recommendations on improvement of asset utilization and disposal; (b) Reviewing and updating standard costs to be applies in the system of records for fixed asset acquisitions; (c) Monitoring implementation of KPIs to identify areas for improvement, ensuring compliance with performance management policy and preparing reports and trend analysis to support performance management analysis conducted by Headquarters Property Management Unit; (d)Contributing to the establishment of strategic priorities and long-term resource planning at the local level.
- Provides guidance in relation to IPSAS accounting and makes appropriate recommendations to Headquarters for charges in accounting policy.
- Acts as knowledge expert on SAP Fixes Asset Module and asset settlement processes, and assists with the maintenance of fixed asset ledgers within the SAP fixed asset management module, which includes configuration, master data maintenance, depreciation calculations and reporting.
- Performs other related duties as required
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in property management, asset management, accounting, real estate, business administration or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Qualification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Chartered Accountant (CA) or equivalent is desirable.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in property management, accounting, finance, budget, administration.
- Experience in working within the UN IPSAS Policy Framework is desirable.
- Experience in UMOJA in respect to FI and physical assets is desirable .
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Arabic is also a working language of ESCWA.
- For this post, fluency in written and spoken English is required; Basic knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
How To Apply:
- If you are Interested kindly use the following link to apply: https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=63077