The overall programming structure of the Global Environment Facility-7 (GEF 7) is aimed at advancing the GEF2020 vision by addressing the major drivers of environmental degradation and contributing to systems change in key areas of the GEF.
The Philippines, thru the GEF-Operational Focal Point, is undergoing and facilitating the preparatory activities and documents for the implementation of GEF-7 in the country. One of its targets is to obtain and develop concept proposals to be included in the National Portfolio Formulation Document (NPFD).
The Department of Agriculture has requested the support of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) for the preparation of a proposal that will qualify under the Food Systems and Land Use and Restoration (FOLUR) Impact Program. The FOLUR will target integrated landscapes alongside supply/value chain dimension fostering transformational change in food systems and land management that is environmentally sustainable. It aims to generate multiple global environmental benefits (GHG, BD, LD) and contribute to wider national and sub-national strategies and priorities including the comprehensive land use plans.
Considering this, the Philippine Government has signified interest to participate in the FOLUR Impact Programme and has to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to GEF on or before 31 January 2019. To support the Government, the UNDP will hire an expert to help in the review and packaging of the EOI following the guidelines on FOLUR IP. The expert will also provide substantive technical assistance in the finalization of the Project Identification Form once the application of the Philippines has been approved/cleared by the GEF.
The ISD Programme Manager with ISD Programme Analyst shall directly supervise the Consultant. As needed, the UNDP project staff shall provide logistical assistance to the Consultant in order for her/him to accomplish enumerated outputs.
Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments
- The financial proposals from possible candidates should be expressed in lump sum amount inclusive of all financial costs related to this engagement (i.e. professional fees, transportation/travel to and from residence-Manila, reproduction, communications including internet). Domestic airfare, food and accommodation of the team outside Manila will be shouldered by UNDP separately and only 20% of the DSA following the NIM rates will be provided.
- First tranche 50% - Upon submission and acceptance of the comments and suggestions of UNDP CO and UNDP-GEF Regional Technical Adviser incorporating in the revised final EOI
- Second tranche 50% - Upon submission and acceptance of the comments and suggestions of UNDP CO and UNDP-GEF Regional Technical Adviser incorporated in the revised final PIF
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the ISD Programme Manager through the ISD Programme Analyst, the Food Systems and Sustainable Land Management Specialist shall:
- Provide technical advice on the proposal development and enhancement;
- Review existing relevant information and interventions on food systems, biodiversity conservation and sustainable land management in selected landscapes;
- Coordinate with the UNDP Country Office, UNDP Regional Technical Advisor and Green Commodity Team in the review of the EOI and the PIF;
- Review the draft EOI and PIF and provide comments and suggestions to ensure coherence and responsiveness with the GEF-7 FOLUR requirements;
- Work closely with the proposal writer and key stakeholders (eg. DA, DA-BSWM, CSOs, and private sector) regarding their involvement in the project; and
- Ensure relevance of the concept based on the need and gaps of the country while at the same time aligning with the relevant GEF-7 programming directions and guidance note on FOLUR Impact Program.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Ability to work in a diverse and multi-cultural environment;
- Self-motivated and ability to work under pressure and to meet strict and competing deadlines;
- Displays analytical judgment and demonstrated ability to handle confidential and politically sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrates self-management, including conflict management/negotiating skills on interpersonal issues;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Filipino;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effectively in teams, delivering through and with others;
- Computer literate; good knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in development management, environmental planning and management, environmental science, human ecology, forestry, agriculture or its related field
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in natural resources’ policy; project development, resource mobilization, and innovation finance;
- At least 7-10 years’ experience and proven expertise in areas of integrated natural resource management; landscape/ land use planning; environmental/ landscape governance; PES; and food security;
- sufficient knowledge of UNDP and GEF and some level of familiarity with its operations
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Filipino
- Has experience in technical writing;