Freelancing Agency support Project Assistant
Norwegian Refugee Council, Dadaab, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab and Kakuma.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Project Assistant provide day to day technical support to the freelancers in agency management. The PA support in the Agency Management and establishment and to give support to the smooth implementation of the Dadaab Collective Freelancing Agency providing day-to-day management of the administration of the Agency and supporting quality control and client communications in relations to job bids, undertaken and completed. He will work in relation to the Upwork platform, modalities and management.The Project Assistant reports to the Education Project Officer
Duties and responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Monitor and report on the project activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards.
- Ensure communication and feedback with beneficiaries and leaders. Organize, support and participate in Coordination meetings.
- Conduct training activities as required within the area of knowledge area.
- Bidding. The project assistant will support the agency in searching for jobs that meet the Agency freelancers’ profiles and quality check freelancers proposals before they are submitted through the Agency.
- Client communication. The project Assistant should be online daily checking for client communication and to respond to client’s questions, feedback, interviews and discuss project terms and troubleshoot in case of any problems on behalf of the Dadaab Refugee Collective.
- Quality check. The project Assistant will conduct a quality check of all bids and work to be submitted to clients before it is delivered to the client.
- Interview review. The project Assistant will analyze all interview requests the Dadaab Refugee Collective receives or on behalf of individual freelancers operating as part of the Agency. The project Assistant will ensure timely response or advice on how freelancers should respond or decline.
- Contracts. In Upwork contracts will come with different terms. The project Assistant should review and interpret them, negotiate on behalf of the Agency and it’s members and accept or decline. Once the contract is signed the Project Assistant will support ensuring that freelancers abide by relevant terms and conditions agreed.
- Accepting offers. The Project Assistant will accept offers on behalf of all agency members as the Agency set up allows for only the project Assistant to do this. At this stage the Agency Manger is also responsible for accepting project rates and any compliance procedures such as identity verification of individual freelancers.
- Support managing Agency membership. Adding and removing Agency members depending on inactivity or new cohorts under the RESI project. Assigning membership roles and a membership plan on the online work platforms.
- Support in managing the Agency. The goal of the Project Assistant is to maintain a five star rating on Upwork through ensuring clients provide feedback on work done, any shortcomings with compliance on service delivery levels on a project resolved immediately and all work is quality assured before it is submitted to the client.
- Freelancer communication. The Project Assistant shall support frequent communication and information sessions with online freelancers or recommending youth who may become part of the Agency. Communication should be open, transparent and two-way and the Project Assistant will ensure clear communication plans are agreed by NRC, ensure that NRC staff are involved in different information sessions where appropriate and report back to NRC any issues being raised.
- Reporting. The Project Assistant shall report bi-weekly to the line manager, Education PC, Project Manager and Area Manager on the Agency operations. The Project Assistant with support of the Dadaab Finance department will generate a monthly transactions report of the agency detailing: Jobs bidded for, Jobs secured, Jobs successfully completed, Monies paid for completed jobs, Any expenses catered for in terms of maintenance of centres and other running costs, Available current working float, Agency and freelancer ratings on jobs completed, Challenges/lessons learned and recommendations
- Prepare and file relevant documents as required by line manager
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by line manager
- Diploma/higher degree, in Business Administration, ICT with business administration experience, or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in provision of youth supported skills development/entrepreneurship training. Previous experience in Dadaab is highly desirable.
- Strong and proven experience in freelancing activities
- Prior experience in delivering youth training.
- Experience from working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context, particularly on digital platforms
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities ior experience in delivering youth training.
- Excellent communication
- Interpersonal skill
- Fluency in English is required. Somali language skills would be an advantage. Experience in supervising, training, and coaching team staffs
- Emergency experience will be highly desirable
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Good in conflict resolution