MSF Canada’s Fundraising Department is responsible for raising private funding, predominantly from individuals, by integrated direct response campaigns, major gifts, and legacy and planning giving vehicles to support our operations in the field and our activities in Canada. The department now generates over $75 million annually and has an ambitious plan to grow as part of the 2020-2023 strategic plan. Fundraising team members are in Toronto and Montreal and work in collaboration with suppliers and vendors across Canada.
As a member of the Fundraising Department, the Fundraising Content Officer is responsible for supporting the marketing strategies to acquire, cultivate and retain donors through compelling storytelling and content creation for all direct marketing activities. The Fundraising Content Officer will work closely with the Mass Marketing, Philanthropy and Digital Unit teams, develop content as needed, execute the annual fundraising plan and support strategic plan goals.
- Research, interview sources and develop compelling fundraising copy for various uses
- Copywriting and editing for web and print to create engaging storytelling pieces and appeals – particularly for our emails, direct mail program, Dispatches (MSF’s bi-annual publication), Annual report and Philanthropic proposals
- Connect with internal and global staff to proactively secure content, as well as ensuring timely use of scheduled content packages
- Support the Digital unit with content creation as required to execute the digital fundraising strategy
- Lead editorial meetings and the content design of various fundraising campaigns as required
- Perform as the copy expert and resource for the fundraising team, including proofreading, and editing of marketing materials for accuracy and consistency
- Develop compelling copy and frame the case for support to inspire donors to donate, increase brand awareness, engage donors and prospective supporters
Proofreading and Editing
- Write, edit, proofread, verify and drive production of a variety of fundraising and marketing communications materials as required
- Ensure communications are accurate, clear, and complete; correct in terms of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and editorial
Relationship building and vendor collaboration
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, building excellent working relationships with colleagues, field workers and suppliers.
- Attend regular campaign check ins and editorial meetings to review program performance and support improvements from vendor partners.
Knowledge and Experience
- An aptitude for storytelling and developing creative ways to craft, adapt and deliver key messages with superior written and verbal communication for multi-media formats
- Exceptional communication skills (capable of capturing tone and voice of a brand, and developing copy for a wide variety of audiences)
- Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office applications and databases
- Experience in fundraising, marketing or digital marketing communications an asset
Education, Certifications and Languages
- Education or training in Fundraising, Communications, Marketing, or a related field is an asset
- Proficient in English, with outstanding copywriting and editing skills is required; proficiency in French an asset.
- Training required (will be provided upon hire)
- Data Privacy and Protection
- AODA, Human Rights, Accessibility
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion