BACKGROUND INFORMATION - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION - ICT
The UNOPS Information and Communication Technology (ICT) unit is focused innovation and harnessing cutting-edge technology to deliver solutions to UNOPS that truly address business needs.
Working with UNOPS ICT is a unique opportunity to deliver systems to users around the world - making an impact on development and solving practical problems for the UNOPS workforce and thereby help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
ICT’s goal is to provide greater effectiveness, efficiency and differentiation to UNOPS products and services. UNOPS ICT unit is responsible for architecting, designing, delivering, and managing all UNOPS ICT infrastructure and business applications. The unit includes Enterprise Architects, Business Analysts, Solutions Designers and Developers from all around the world who are based primarily in Denmark and Thailand.
Reporting to the ICT Infrastructure Team Lead, the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Infrastructure Specialist is responsible for designing, implementing and supporting the UNOPS cloud infrastructure in GCP. In addition, the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Infrastructure Specialist will be part of transitioning existing UNOPS on-premises application workloads to GCP.
The GCP Infrastructure Specialist will perform the following functions:
Implement, manage and support UNOPS GCP Infrastructure
- Assist and advise on the design of UNOPS GCP infrastructure components based on information regarding the business context and standards stipulated by the ICT Architects, with the guidance of the ICT Infrastructure Team Lead.
- Implement and maintain all GCP infrastructure components, ensuring adherence to best-practice IT/Cyber security principles and approaches as well as guidelines and principles set forth by the ICT Architects.
- Implement automation through scripts or other artefacts to enable as much of a self-service environment as possible for the provisioning and management of infrastructure components required for development, test, and UAT environments of various kinds.
- Advise and implement the security for a multi-zone hosting infrastructure as a core part of the design and implementation.
- Provide support, troubleshooting assistance, implementation guidance and technical advice to ICT Focal Point colleagues in UNOPS offices globally as well as ICT technical teams.
Implement infrastructure components within ICT Infrastructure Projects
- Participate in global UNOPS ICT projects under the coordination and guidance of the ICT Infrastructure Team Lead and/or project manager.
- Provision infrastructure as required for the implementation of the project.
- Configure and maintain pipelines for applications with bespoke interfaces in high availability production environments.
- Contribute to design and maintain automations for test environments as Infrastructure-As-Code systems with high availability, scalability and reliability requirements.
Manage and monitor UNOPS ICT Infrastructure (GCP and other)
- Setup and maintain software systems; proactively identify areas of system concerns which may impact system stability.
- Monitor UNOPS ICT infrastructure and systems to improve up-time, provide proactive resolution of potential issues, and timely response to any security and operational incidents.
- Monitor hosting facilities and server infrastructure to ensure systems functionality, security and availability.
- Perform regular software updates and patches to supported applications and various operating systems.
- Provide updates to management on problems that are severe in nature or that are exceeding thresholds.
- Ensure optimal quality services by maintaining ownership of all reported problems until appropriate resolution is reached and communicated to the person reporting the problem.
- Manage, improve, document, test and implement systems and tools such as Single sign-on / oAuth / OpenID /SAML v2.0 federation
- Ensure full compliance with information, management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures of UNOPS.
- Ensure full documentation of systems, configuration and procedures to enhance knowledge-sharing/transfer within the team and throughout the ICT practice using established documentation repositories.
- Follow and evaluate emerging technologies, staying up-to-date with trends and the cyber security threat landscape, attend courses and seminars, share knowledge and experience with other ICT specialists. Evaluate systems and platforms, research best practices and contribute to ICT Service Team design solutions with a special focus on Google Cloud Platform
- Participate in meetings and exchange information and expertise on applications and tools with ICT staff from other UN agencies.
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Technology Management, Mathematics or other relevant discipline is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in combination with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of master’s degree.
- Secondary education in combination with additional six years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a master's degree
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with enterprise IT systems, preferably cloud native in nature.
- Minimum of 2 years of working experience with:
- Cloud Native infrastructure with a deep understanding of containerization on Kubernetes orchestration.
- Mature understanding of concepts like “Infrastructure as code”.
Knowledge of the following is highly desired:
- Google Cloud databases
- Google Cloud Build
- Google Container Registry
- Google Anthos on GKE on-prem
- Orchestration and Infrastructure-As-Code tools (Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Bamboo, Jenkins)
- Linux operating environments
- Scripting (Go, Node.js, Python)
- Knowledge on open source technologies such as Istio, Prometheus, Knative, Helm would be a distinct advantage
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset