UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women in Georgia supports state and non-state partners towards the achievement of substantive gender equality in Georgia. In line with national and international commitments, UN Women works on the levels of policies and legislation, institutions and grassroots, in order to achieve transformative results for increased gender equality and greater protection of the rights of women and girls.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under direct supervision of the UN Women Deputy Country Representative and GG4GEG Programme analyst, the Data specialist will carry out the following functions:
Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the area of mainstreaming gender in data collection, analysis and dissemination:
- Provide inputs to relevant programme documents, strategies, policy briefs, concept notes and other documents as appropriate.
- Provide inputs to the design and formulation of programme strategies and initiatives.
Lead and provide quality assurance to UN Women’s research initiatives related to gender equality, women’s empowerment and Sustainable Development Goals:
- Provide key inputs to research methodologies and publications produced by UN Women.
- Contribute towards interpreting, contextualizing and disseminating gender data in a way that contributes to evidence-based national planning and programming on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Provide technical assistance and capacity development to national partners in the area of gender data collection, analysis and dissemination:
- Support national data producers in mainstreaming gender in data collection systems
- Support national partners in development of a national set of indicators to track progress and report on national and international commitments on GEWE
- Support national partners in strengthening data dissemination strategies and enhancing dialogue with data users, including, inter alia, via managing the presentation, visualization and other user-friendly communication strategies
- Identify capacity development needs of stakeholders
4.Contribute to the implementation of the UN Women data agenda by building and maintaining partnerships:
- Develop and maintain effective networks and partnerships with National Statistical offices, and other data collecting and research organizations;
- Work creatively with the UN System, civil society and academia to identify synergies and linkages in relation to research and data;
- Represent UN Women in inter-agency working groups and fora on research and data, as necessary
Serve as UN Women Georgia CO Knowledge Management focal point
- Develop UN Women Georgia Knowledge Management (KM) strategy and action plan
- Facilitate the process of monitoring of the KM strategy and action plan implementation, including through the tasks and duties listed above
- Ensure quality assurance and peer review process of UN Women knowledge products in partnership with relevant programme colleagues
Perform any other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent analytical and research skills;
- Strong understanding of and commitment to gender equality and women's empowerment and its policy implications;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong knowledge and use of computer office tools and statistical software;
- Proficiency in IT skills demonstrated;
- Familiarity with results-based management and human rights-based programming will be an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and strong communication skills;
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment demonstrated;
- Strong organizational and time management skills, ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work as a member of a team;
- Ability to approach work with energy, commitment and a positive, constructive attitude; Resourceful in finding solutions.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least Masters (or equivalent) in development related disciplines, gender, economics, statistics, development or other social science fields.
Relevant work experience:
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible work experience carrying out research and analysis in a development policy and/or research context;
- At least two years of track record in data analysis, research and writing, including on gender and development;
- A substantial background in statistical analysis and econometrics is highly desired;
- Experience conducting methodological research on gender statistics will be a strong asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken Georgian and English
- Knowledge of Russian language is an asset;.