The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life.
Gender Equality is one of the core objectives of UNDP and is implemented throughout the organization in a two-pronged approach: mainstreaming gender in all core practices; and dedicated interventions that empower women and promote gender equality. UNDPs work on gender is guided by the Beijing Platform for Action (BPFA), Convention of the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) and the frameworks provided by the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and country specific gender priorities. In 2018-2019, the UNDP Country Office in Kazakhstan has gone through a corporate Gender Equality Seal certification process and was awarded Silver certificate as a result. The CO strives to continue the initiative and participate in the next round of certification striving for a gold certificate.
Under the guidance of Deputy Resident Representative (DRR), and direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative (ARR)/Gender Focal Point (GFP), the Gender Specialist advises Senior Management on gender policies and trends and relevant linkages to UNDP programmes. The Gender Specialist provides analysis for formulation of strategies and briefings to Senior Management, as well as supports the CO’s Gender Task Force. The Gender Specialist advocates and represents UNDP in his/her area of expertise as requested by his/her supervisor.
The Gender Specialist may supervise and lead a team of UNDP experts, international and national consultants and project staff. The Gender Specialist maintains a network with colleagues from UNDP, UN Agencies, Government officials, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society.
As gender equality is fully incorporated in UNDP’s core corporate services, the Gender Specialist will play a strong advocacy role, internally and externally, for promotion of gender equality, empowerment of women and girls, conformity to key international conventions such as CEDAW, and pursuit of Sustainable Development Goals with a gender perspective. S/he will support Gender Task Force and CO’s validation and post certification actions of Gender Equality Seal Certification process.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide policy advice and support to the CO management and the Gender Task Force (GTF) on gender related policies and issues;
- Contribute and lead the gender seal process and mainstream gender equality into UNDP programme;
- Facilitate knowledge building on gender related issues;
- Create strategic partnerships to build network and support resource mobilization.
- More specifically the Gender Specialist will provide the following deliverables:
- Provides policy advice and support to UNDP management, GTF, programmes and projects, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of quality analysis and substantive inputs to the CPD formulation and implementation; as well as formulation of programme and project documents, and policy papers;
- Advice on possible areas for UNDP support and adjustment of on-going programmes to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with Global and National Gender Equality Strategies;
- Contribution to sub-regional, regional and inter-agency initiatives related to gender issues;
- Representation of UNDP gender capacity in different working groups and interagency working groups;
- Analysis, compilation and interpretation of gender statistical data, thorough research and preparation of quality analysis and reports to inform decision-making;
- Support the GTF in implementation of the CO’s Gender Equality Strategy and Action Plan to it.
- Ensures gender mainstreaming into programme/projects and operations, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conduct regular mapping exercise to identify level of gender mainstreaming in the CO programme and operations and suggest recommendations with an action plan to it to constantly improve the level;
- Hold meetings and discussions with the CO staff (Programme, Projects and Operations) to conduct deep analysis and identify entry points on integration of gender mainstreaming across the programme/project interventions;
- Following the results of the analysis and surveys, hold focus (portfolio) group discussions with the programme and project managers, bilateral meetings with staff to support them to mainstream the gender indicators and activities into their projects/Annual Working Plans. Guide the project teams during the implementation of the concrete project initiatives, as appropriate;
- Contribute to the CO annual reporting (ROAR) and project reporting;
- Support and co- implement activities of the CO in formulation and implementation of the stand-alone gender project matching GEN 3 gender marker attribute. Act as a project manager, if needed;
- Contribute to development of Project Documents and TORs, focusing on the projects with the GEN2 and GEN3 marker (i.e., programmes with a strong focus on gender). Conduct gender expertise of the new developing Project Documents. Support project managers of regional GEN3 projects in implementation of activities and liaising with counterparts involved in the implementation;
- In consultation with Communications Specialist, help develop and review communication and advocacy materials, including reviewing them for gender sensitivity and use of the gender-sensitive language;
- Review knowledge products, Project Documents and existing M&E Frameworks to ensure integration of gender issues and that gender equality results are assessed against the priorities of the national Gender Equality Strategy.
- Facilitates knowledge building, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Facilitates knowledge building and mainstreaming of gender in related perspectives within UNDP programmes and actively participates in corporate UNDP knowledge creation;
- Provision of policy options and high-quality advisory inputs to UNDP programmes and projects to ensure these are responsive to national policies, priorities and strategic plans, and advance UNDP's corporate goals;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned;
- In close cooperation with the Learning Team and GTF, conduct regular training for the CO staff on Gender equality related matters;
- Conduct training for project beneficiaries as requested by the project teams;
- Develop and conduct Gender training sessions for all staff, including for new incoming UNDP personnel as part of the onboarding programme;
- Take initiative in advocacy efforts by promoting corporate actions at country level, engaging with relevant counterparts. On top of this, support the GTF and communications specialist during the gender-related advocacy campaigns (, IWD, 16 Days of activism, and others);
- Support the project personnel in implementation of concrete gender-related activities and communications of their results, if/as might be requested;
- Contributes with respective content for the CO’s website and social media.
- Contributes to strategic partnerships and supports with resource mobilization:
- Define key gender partners and stakeholders to increase the network, cooperation and explore possible joint fundraising;
- Liaise with the Ministries, National and International institutions within the area of expertise;
- Conduct regular consultations with the other key agencies, UN Women, UNFPA and UNICEF and key national women’s organizations. Attend the quarterly UN County Team Gender Thematic Group meetings;
- Lead monitoring and contribute to implementation of the UN joint initiatives, such as but not limited to EU Spotlight initiatives and other “umbrella” gender-related projects;
- Review possible funding opportunities and support in formulating the proposals
Impact of Results:
- The programme and project teams have strong expertise in mainstreaming gender in their designated activities;
- The CO Gender Strategy targets are achieved, gender is mainstreamed in the county programme.
- The gender equality is mainstreamed into programme and operations of the CO, as informed by a solid gap analysis.
- Awareness about the gender equality corporate principles of the CO staff is raised
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Gender Studies, Public Administration, Sociology, Politics, or a related field is a great advantage.
- At least 5 years of working experience in/with development programmes/projects (related to gender), and/or experience in organizing and conducting trainings;
- Knowledge of the national gender equality policies;
- Strong analytical, presentation and reporting skills;
- Strong communications and advocacy skills;
- Knowledge of UN/UNDP gender policies is an asset;
- Specialized training/certifications in the related area is an advantage.
- Fluency in English, Russian and/or Kazakh