General Ledger (GL) Accountant
WorldFish, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Closing Date for Applications:
Key roles and responsibilities
- Work closely with IT, Treasury and Grant Accountants to ensure all month-end processes (i.e. Cost Allocation, Overhead, Revenue Recognition and Currency Revaluation) are executed and booked on a timely basis (as per the Month-end Close Schedule).
- Analyze and provide insights to finance team members or process owners (in HQ and Country Offices) on balance sheet account balances every month to ensure that (a) corrective actions are taken (where needed) and (b) financial statement assertions and management reporting requirements are duly fulfilled.
- Work closely with the Budget & Reporting Team in preparing the annual financial statement.
- Facilitate both internal/external financial audits, and work closely with the Accounting Manager to handle audit queries and resolve management letter points.
- Ensure that payroll and social costs are duly recorded for HQ, and all clearing accounts related to payroll and social costs (HQ and Country Offices) are duly reconciled / cleared every month.
- Review entries booked at Country Offices for Guest Programs every month and ensure that financial transactions are recorded accurately and completely for reporting purposes.
- Work closely with Systems Accountant on queries related to the GL, financial reporting and queries related to accounting policies and reporting practices.
- Provide supervision/ guidance to the Assistant Accountant (GL) on a daily basis to ensure that he/she can achieve his/her work objectives on a timely basis.
- Own the Chart of Accounts (COA) and administer a process to record/track changes made to the COA.
Candidates should have the following qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or membership with a professional accountancy body (e.g. ACCA, CIMA, CPA Australia, MICPA).
- At least 3 years of accounting and/or audit experience, preferably from an international accounting firm or MNC.
- Possess competency in the following areas: financial accounting & reporting (using an integrated accounting system such as Oracle, SAP or Agresso), management/performance reporting (using advanced Microsoft Excel functionalities) and supervisory skills (e.g. team lead, audit senior).
- Proficient in both in written and spoken English.
The successful candidate should
- Be a good team player i.e. able to work able to work with all levels of staff (including management)
- Demonstrate record of inter-disciplinary, partnership building, and the desire to work in a collaborative, international environment
- Show good self-initiative, pro-active and able to work independently