Generation Equality Forum
UN Women, Pretoria, South Africa
Closing Date for Applications:
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- UN Women SAMCO staff, consultants and interns are expected to contribute to a professional working environment in which the strengthening of national capacities and human potential is prioritized. Respect for diversity and human dignity is required, as is the active pursuit of a collaborative and inclusive approach to both internal and external stakeholders, including colleagues and partners.
- The Generation Equality Forum Coordination team leads and coordinate all aspects of the Generation Equality Forum including communications and public mobilization, working closely with the relevant Government Departments, Donors and Civil Society Organizations. The unit also ensure synergy between the efforts around the Forum in Mexico and Paris and UN Women’s Generation Equality public advocacy campaign requirements.
- Under the overall supervision of Programme Management Specialist, the intern will work to support the units’ daily responsibilities in relation to programming, finance, general logistics, administration and coordination.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support research on various topics relevant to the units;
- Support in drafting of relevant program reports for the unit;
- Gather and provide information for the drafting of concept notes and proposals;
- Support in planning and organizing workshops, events, seminars and meetings and the required logistical preparations and support;
- Draft minutes, workshop reports, letters, invitation and other correspondence under guidance of supervisor and with support from unit members;
- Ensure the maintenance of filing system and the organization of program documents;
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
- Increased understanding of UN Women’s work, the UN system and engagement with strategic partners;
- Learning different aspects of UN Women’s Programme priority areas and particularly in governance, peace and security and humanitarian action in the region;
- Work as a team member in a multicultural setting;
- Gender and women’s empowerment work.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent analytical, communication, and writing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to Work under minimum supervision and tight deadlines;
- Ability to multi-task and address competing priorities;
- Ability to take initiative and exercise sound independent judgment within areas of responsibility;
- Strong computer skills including MS office packages;
- Knowledge of Gender/Women’s Rights is desirable.
Required Skills and Experience
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: Humanitarian and Disaster Management studies, Conflict Prevention, Law, Social Science, Development Cooperation, Gender Studies, Women’s Rights, Public Administration or other relevant subjects is required;
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation, or;
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.