This position is located in FAO Country Office, Islamabad, Pakistan. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural , fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Reporting Lines: The incumbent will report to GIS Officer, under the overall supervision of FAO Representative in Pakistan and in close coordination with Assistant FAO Representative (Program).
Technical Focus: Assist in collection, organization and integration of spatial datasets for the production of upto date maps and atlases. Use of Geospatial technologies for agriculture, food insecurity, water resource management related activities.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide assistance to the GIS team on geo data processing and analysis for multiple projects within the country.
- Provide assistance in maintaining/updating and organizing spatial databases.
- Assist in development of FMD, PPR and project sheet maps and other maps as required.
- Develop maps for Atlases and to convert data into GIS friendly formats for mapping.
- Provide assistance on the maps and analysis for water accounting.
- Provide day-to-day support to GIS team on mapping activities.
- Any others assignment given by the supervisor within the area of expertise
- Graduate/Equivalent professional qualification preferably in Geoinfomatics/GIS. Bachelors Degree in Space Sciences/GIS/RS.
- Knowledge of prior work in GIS/RS applications in hydrology/water resource management will be considered an asset.
- Relevant working experience of 16-18 months with well-reputed government or private organizations. Prior experience with UN will be preferred.
- Working knowledge of the English language and ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams is essential.
- National of Pakistan.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Technical/Functional Skills
- GIS/Spatial analysis
- Remote Sensing/Image processing
- Strong and effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Computer skills in Office Applications and softwares such as ArcGIS, Erdas Imagine, QGIS, Access, Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point
- Having Knowledge of United Nations and International Organizations’ administrative policies and procedures.
- Strong communication skills, and strong spirit of teamwork.
Selection Criteria: Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above