BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The Emergency Preparedness and Support Response Division (OSE) is responsible for enhancing the World Food Programme’s (WFP) preparedness and response capacity in emergencies, including early warning, preparedness planning, crisis support and information management.
The Geographical Information System (GIS) Unit within OSE and OSEP is continuously gathering data and updating georeferenced information to ensure that WFP is ready to create detailed cartography as well as spatial analysis of the areas of interest in order to support the humanitarian emergency response.
In order to improve accessibility to geographic information and tools, OSE has developed an infrastructure of geospatial data, which includes a Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) and an Open Source Web GIS platform, It develops WEB GIS applications for various divisions in WFP and it provides guidance for adoption of standard geographic references in WFP’s corporate systems as part of the GeoEnabler project.
The GIS developer will be responsible of maintaining and further improve a Web GIS platform implemented by the GIS team for the Logistics Cluster and He will provide support for the rollout of the GIS infrastructure in country offices and regional bureaux.
He will report to the supervisor of the pillar within the GIS team that takes care of GIS developments, databases administration and innovation.
- Maintain and further improve web and mobile applications implemented for the Logistics Cluster Preparedness Platform (LGPP) project;
- Support rollout of the LGPP in priority countries for the Logistics Cluster and deliver training on its use;
- Liaise with the TEC department and other divisions in WFP for the integration of geospatial data into corporate systems and websites;
- Contribute to the administration of the WFP’s and the LogCluster’s organizational accounts in ArcGIS Online;
- Support Country Offices and Regional Bureaus with the implementation of Spatial data Infrastructures (SDI);
- Customize Web GIS applications implemented with ESRI technology and/or liaise with external partners for their implementation;
- Test migration of the Spatial Data Infrastructure and ArcGIS based apps to the WFP’s cloud environment in Amazon;
- Create a workflow for validation of edits on logistics datasets received from GIS staff in the field or cooperating partners through the Logistics Cluster Preparedness platform;
- Content related to the GIS infrastructure and the LGPP is posted in the GIS page in the WFP internal social network (WFP Communities);
- When needed, represent WFP at geospatial events, workshops and summits
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
- The Logistics Cluster Preparedness Platform (LCPP) is easily accessible from all WFP offices;
- New nodes of the SDI are implemented in countries with GIS capacity;
- Reorganize and clean Web Services published through ArcGIS server and web maps, apps and tools in WFP’s organizational account in ArcGIS Online;
- Implement a solution to integrate data received from COs through the SDI into datasets used by the GIS team for mapping and analyses purposes;
- Technical documentation of the LCPP is available;
- Data stored in corporate systems can be easily mapped;
- Updates on the SDI and the LGPP are shared with the GIS community in WFP;
- A solution for validation of edits for logistics datasets is available.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education: Master’s degree, preferably in Geographic Information Systems, computer science or other relevant fields;
Experience: Minimum of four years of increasingly relevant professional experience in the development of Web GIS applications and management of geospatial data;
Knowledge & Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of the ESRI suite, especially ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online applications, Portal for ArcGIS, Survey123 and Collector for ArcGIS;
- Advanced experience with Spatial Data Infrastructures based on PostgreSQL/PostGIS/ESRI Enterprise GeoDatabases and GIS data management;
- Experience with GIS Desktop tools such as ESRI ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro;
- Courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Experience in projects management;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing;
Languages: Fluency in English. The ideal candidate offers also knowledge of a second UN language (preferable French or Spanish)