The Global Data Scientist is an expert in statistics, data science, and quantitative research who supports a large portfolio of research projects across diverse geographies, sectors, and methods. This position will work as a technical lead on IPA’s Global Research and Data Support (GRDS) Team, based in New York City. The Global Data Scientist’s role will include, but not be limited to, the following activities:
Developing software applications and data management systems (25%)
The Global Data Scientist will design and develop software applications and data management systems that help to improve the quality of IPA’s data, including user-written Stata commands and Python-based applications.
Supporting staff technical capacity (25%)
- The Global Data Scientist will prepare and lead training sessions and remote courses on topics such as statistical inference, survey programming, and data quality control processes.
- The Global Data Scientist will also provide technical guidance and troubleshooting/support for technical staff in IPA’s 21 country offices.
- Depending on the applicant’s managerial experience, the Global Data Scientist may also directly oversee other coders and trainers.
- Expanding the scope of IPA’s technical services (15%)
- The Global Data Scientist will research, adapt, and design innovative methods to broaden IPA’s portfolio of evaluation and technical services.
- Depending on the applicant’s technical experience, the Global Data Scientist may for example lead the selection of new software applications for global use, or the development of new data management protocols.
- Partnering with project teams to increase the technical rigor of project deliverables (15%)
- The Global Data Scientist will help draft and refine technical documents, which may include evaluation designs, pre-analysis plans, sample size calculations, and other documents.
- Documenting knowledge and best practices (10%)
- The Global Data Scientist will write detailed code and process documentation for technical teams, clear knowledge articles for consumption by global research staff, and occasional public-facing blog posts.
- Supporting other research-related activities as necessary (10%)
- The Global Data Scientist may be asked to troubleshoot technical products, support regional technical teams, or assist with strategic projects and initiatives.
- The Global Data Scientist will perform any related duties assigned by the Associate Director.
IPA’s Global Research and Data Support team works with hundreds of research staff in more than 20 IPA country offices to provide design support, research protocols, technical resources, coding support, and training programs. This “headquarters” position will be based in New York City (preferred) or Washington, D.C., but will remotely support projects in IPA country offices as well as spend up to 35% of time traveling. You can see a list of IPA’s worldwide offices at https://www.poverty-action.org/research.
- Undergraduate degree in economics, statistics, computer science, engineering, or related fields; master’s degree preferred
- Two or more years of relevant work experience, such as performing advanced statistical analysis, developing software applications, and/or designing evaluations; additional management experience preferred
- Demonstrated statistical programming and data management skills; Stata or R preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in understanding and applying machine learning algorithms; Python experience preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in methods for causal inference in social science
- Experience with data collection platforms and technologies (e.g. ODK/SurveyCTO, Survey Solutions)
- Experience supervising field or technical teams
- Experience conducting field research in developing countries
- Experience training staff or developing training content
- Experience with software engineering or artificial intelligence