Global Roving & ER HSS Manager
Norwegian Refugee Council, Oslo, Norway
Closing Date for Applications:
The Global Roving & (ER) Health, Safety & Security (HSS) Manager provides health, safety and security support, advice and training to Country Offices (CO), Regional Offices (RO), and the Head Office (HO). The section provides support to an Emergency Response Team or deploys to implement an initiative or task on behalf the Head Office HSS Section. This position reports to the Global HSS Director who is responsible for assigning deployments and tasks.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead and monitor the implementation and compliance of NRC HSS risk management framework, and reduce risks by seeking creative solutions for mitigation to (in order of priority): NRC staff, programs, organization, beneficiaries and assets. Deploys to implement an initiative or task on behalf the HO HSS Section.
- Ensure that solutions respect both the rules and principles of the HSS risk management system of NRC, as well as the humanitarian standards of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence that are guiding the interventions of NRC for accessing beneficiaries
- Provides HSS trainings, also by deployment
- Provides mentoring or support to help build the capacity of HSS staff in the field
- Deploys to fill vacant CO HSS Manager or Regional HSS positions, and assumes their tasks and responsibilities while deployed
- Deploys to support Emergency Response Teams (ER)
- Deploys to conduct security risk assessment and produces HSS documents for COs
- On occasion, may be required to act as a Regional or Global HSS manager during leave periods or vacancies
- Assists with the development and implementation of the NRC HSS risk management system
- Helps draft policies, plans, procedures and other documents as directed by the Global HSS Director
- Trains and mentors’ new HSS staff on NRC’s policies and systems relating to risk assessment, day-to-day operational HSS and crisis management
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Senior Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context in the field of health, safety and/or security
- Formal HSS, risk management or equivalent education
- Proven, solid and relevant experience in HSS work, preferably in the NGO or UN environment
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts, and demonstrated ability to work under difficult conditions and a high degree of pressure
- Proven experience in administration and team management
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Training, investigative or information analysis experience is considered an asset
- Fluency in English and French both written and verbal, Spanish an asset
- Valid driver’s license
- You are an adaptable, level headed person with the ability to handle a large workload. You thrive in a dynamic environment and working under high pressure brings out your best qualities.
- You are goal oriented and visionary, and you take pride in your ability to find agile and sometimes creative solutions within a risk management framework.