Grant Accountant, International Grants
American Bar Association, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
ABA ROLI is seeking a Grant Accountant to support the Finance Division’s oversight of ABA ROLI’s international grant programs. The Grant Accountant will work as part of a dynamic team that provides crucial financial support for ABA ROLI’s field-based rule of law programs. The Grant Accountant interacts daily with DC and field based program staff as well as with field based financial counterparts. The Grant Accountant provides direction for programs funded by the US government and other donor organizations. The Grant Accountant utilizes problem solving skills, exceptional customer service, strong attention to detail to provide seasoned guidance on compliance matters.
- Reviews accounting transactions for an assigned country portfolio and ensures compliance with donor rules, regulations, and/or grant provisions.
- Reviews monthly field office operating expense reports for completeness, accuracy, allowability and compliance with donor grant agreement requirements.
- Reviews all expenses and identifies expenses which are not allowable and provides a recommended course of action to the Manager - Grant Compliance and Control.
- Prepares and uploads journal entries for monthly cash actuals for program related expenses (e.g., field reports, in-kind contributions, reclassifications, write-offs, etc.).
- Utilizes general ledger reports to run a monthly pipeline report, and adds other committed funds.
- Provides program managers and field staff with reports on spending burn rate and remaining funding of specific grants.
- Prepares government reports (e.g., SF425) and private donor reports either on a standardized reporting schedule or on an ad hoc basis.
- Prepares, submits, and follows up on wire transfers and/or direct deposits (ACH).
- Maintains the data integrity of all financial transactions for all assigned countries/grants and assists program managers and field based staff in identifying and collecting appropriate expense documentation.
- Collaborates and mentors Field Financial Managers from assigned countries/grants on expense inquiries, supporting materials, expense allowability, policies, additional awards, and general inquiries.
- Reconciles business advance accounts on a monthly basis and closes accounts when the grant is terminating and/or Country Director changes.
- When required, travels internationally to conduct field office audits as part of an audit team.
- Provides training to field based staff on ABA policies and procedures as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Possession of a Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting;
- At least two years' experience reviewing financial transactions against grant provisions to determine allowability of such transactions;
- At least two years' experience interpreting and applying grant rules and regulations from US Government entities (e.g., OMB circulars) and/or private donors;
- Intermediate-level skill in the Microsoft Office Suite of products.
- Previous experience inputting expenses and completing expense reports through electronic systems;
- Previous experience interacting with program staff and donors;
- Ability to work as part of a fast-paced team;
- Strong understanding of compliance and auditing of expenses;
- Comfort with public speaking and administration of trainings, particularly to staff without a financial background;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication in English required;
- Fluency in a language of a host country for which support is provided is helpful;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Analytical problem solving skills.