United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia , Beirut, Lebanon
Closing Date for Applications:
- “The United Nations (UN) General Assembly (UNGA), through resolution 74/270 on global solidarity to fight the corona virus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, calls upon the United Nations system “to work with all relevant actors in order to mobilize a coordinated global response to social, economic, and financial impact.” Further it renews its commitment to help people and societies in special situations, especially the weakest and most vulnerable. This, and the UN Framework for the immediate socio-economic response to COVID-19 are a call to focus on people—women, youth, low-wage workers, small and medium enterprises, the informal sector and on vulnerable groups who are already at risk—and build back better towards sustainable development and the 2030 Agenda”. ESCWA, in close collaboration with DESA, UNCTAD and Regional Economic Commissions is responding to this call through the implementation of the project on “Strengthening Social Protection for Pandemic Responses”, funded by the UN Development Account (DA).
- In line with the objectives of the DA project on Strengthening Social Protection for Pandemic Responses, ESCWA aims to strengthen national capacities to design and implement social protection policies for rapid recovery from COVID-19 and increase resilience, especially of the most vulnerable populations. These will be pursued through analytical publications, technical materials, knowledge exchange and capacity building, regional and inter-regional cooperation as well as targeted technical cooperation.
- In this context ESCWA is seeking the services of a graphic designer to work with the project team.
Duties and responsibilities
The Individual Contractor (IC), in close collaboration with the project team, is expected to perform a variety of functions including:
- Developing a design concept for the publications under the DA project in English and Arabic, in line with the design of previous ESCWA social protection material;
Producing designs for the following publications in English and Arabic:
- a policy brief on the Role of Management Information Systems in the Expansion of Cash Transfer Programmes during the Covid-19 Pandemic;
- a technical paper on Targeted Social Protection paper;
- two national case studies on social protection response;
- a regional policy study on strengthening social protection systems post-recovery; and
- training materials on data analysis;
- Responding to possible queries from the project team on the designs.
Academic Qualifications: A first-level university degree or an institution of equivalent status is required
Experience: At least 4 years of experience in graphic design, especially infographics is required, and preferably on the topics related to the ESCWA work.
- Excellent skills in relevant design software.
Language: Excellent command of Arabic and English.