Head, Area Office Moscow
International Telecommunication Union(ITU), Moscow, Russia
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direction of the BDT Director, the incumbent is responsible for the promotion of telecommunications and ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) and Infrastructure development by means of technical cooperation and technical assistance activities in the CIS countries involving:
- Promotion of development, expansion and operation of telecommunication/ICT infrastructure networks.
- Information to policy-makers, regulatory bodies and telecommunication operators about world trends in new technologies and their possible repercussions.
- Building partnerships for telecommunication/ICT infrastructure development with Sector members and promoting the private sector participation to the ITU activities.
- Identification and supervision of Network modernization projects including technological smooth migration.
- Provision of direct assistance in telecommunication/ICT networks development with emphasis on IP-based networks and NGN.
- Provision of direct assistance in planning and implementation of IP-based networks to countries of the Region.
- Collection, circulation and exchange of information on matters pertaining to the development of telecommunications/ICT and their rational use, and the activities of ITU in these fields.
- Organization and participation in meetings or seminars and undertaking of other duties that maybe assigned to him/her by the BDT Director.
- Implementation of the decisions/recommendations of World Telecommunication Development Conferences, in particular the BDT development programmes and activities pertaining to the region.
In addition, and in support of telecommunication/ICT infrastructure development, the incumbent:
- Assists telecommunication/ICT Administrations/Operators in formulating programmes and project requests for submission to funding sources by national planning and coordination authorities.
- Sensitizes policy-makers, regulatory bodies, operators, appropriate institutions and organizations and telecommunication operators on issues related to IP-based Networks and services including NGN and new technical standards.
- Assists telecommunication/ICT Administrations/Operators by mobilizing resources in order to provide rapid assistance for the solution of specific problems.
- Develops and maintains close relations with the various regional/sub regional bodies, institutions and banks with a view to securing financial and other resources for the development of telecommunications/ICTs infrastructure in the CIS countries.
- Develops and maintains close relations with the various stakeholders and moderators/facilitators in the framework of the WSIS Geneva Action Plan.
- Designs projects and prepares project documents when required and takes follow-up measures for their approval.
- Monitors the implementation of those national and sub-regional projects assigned to him/her in collaboration with the project management staff and takes all necessary actions for an efficient and speedy implementation.
- Promotes Technical Cooperation among Developing Countries (TCDC) on a sub-regional and regional basis.
- Represents the ITU at the UN Country Team (UNCT), UN Security Management Team (SMT) and the ICT Cluster of UN Agencies working in the region as appropriate.
- Performs any other task in his/her field of competence that may be assigned to him/her by the BDT Director.
- Advanced university degree in telecommunications engineering or related fields (science/engineering, electrical/electronic engineering), with some specialization in telecommunication or related field OR education in a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university degree in one of the fields above.
- For internal candidates, a first university degree in one of the fields above in combination with fifteen years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree for promotion or rotation purposes.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in the above fields, preferably acquired in a telecommunication/ICT Administration/organization or recognized private agency, including at least five at the international level.
- A Doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for three years of working experience.
- Knowledge of one of th e six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level.
- Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)