Are you passionate about building high-impact partnerships with large corporations? Are you ready to change and save the lives of the world's most vulnerable people? If yes, this opportunity is for you.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are looking for a talented Head of Business Development and Account Management based in New York, USA at a P4 level that will serve as part of the leadership team driving WFP’s new partnership and engagement strategy, mainly responsible for the execution of the global corporate fundraising strategy that consists in proactively targeting top prospects for WFP and developing successful approaches to secure new multi-year and multi-million corporate partners, with a minimum threshold of $1M for corporates and $500k for corporate foundations.
As Head of Business Development and Account Management, you will:
- Lead and coach a dynamic team to drive strategy implementation, partnerships maximization, and revenue growth. You will establish clear individual KPIs, objectives, goals, and timelines; and provides timely guidance to enable the team to achieve their goals.
- Work collaboratively with your team to selectively identify, research, and screen target corporates, to then develop a corporate pipeline of potential new partners through relationship and network mapping.
- Leverage the connections of WFP senior leadership to identify and engage potential new partnerships.
- Lead the account management teams in developing and executing a growth strategy for the largest existing corporate partnerships and ensure smooth handover of newly secured relationships from new business to the partnership management team.
- Cultivate key relationships, monitor delivery of support to meet potential and existing partner needs, expectations, and priorities, and oversee all internal and external activities tied to meeting partner requirements.
- Oversee stewardship strategy, including: facilitating meetings between senior WFP and corporate leadership for highest value partnerships; communicating, presenting to and influencing key stakeholders at all levels of the partner organization, including executive and C-level; and ensuring account management team embodies and delivers on strategy.
- Evaluate and pre-screen new opportunities that meet the minimum financial thresholds and develop proposals for high potential new partners.
- Leverage WFP and external awareness events (such as conferences, forums, panels, and roundtables) to position WFP as a ”go-to” organization for partnership and transform WFP into a “go-to” brand for new partners.
- Collaborate with other areas across the organization to develop effective customized “pitch” materials for successful approaches, as well as materials to support senior leadership meetings with prospects and potential partners.
- Prepare for negotiations with new partners, create and brief the ”pitch team” and, where appropriate, lead or participate in the negotiations, secure contracts, and agree on partnership expectations.
- Serve as the main point of contact to support fundraising efforts and new business opportunities, providing advice to WFP regional bureaus and country offices.
- Liaise with other colleagues on the due diligence process and contracting.
- Create communications for external and internal audiences and report on partnership impact.
- Supervise and nurture an effective team; support the professional development of team members.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
You have at least eight (8) years of relevant and demonstrated experience in business development, partnership development, marketing and communications, sales or agency account management, brand management, fundraising with large-scale corporations.
You have extensive sales and marketing experience—experienced in research, planning, preparing, and landing pitches and negotiating with potential partners with a proven track record of successful negotiations with global enterprises.
You have a demonstrated track record of securing multi-million dollar and multi-year partnerships from prospect research and identification to an agreement in the business or non-profit sectors.
You have a demonstrated track record of stewarding complex high-value corporate fundraising partnerships, delivering sustained revenue growth, and successfully securing partnerships renewals.
At have at least five (5) years of experience in managing a team of sales or account specialists, setting clear targets and KPIs, and continuously tracking progress to achieve financial goals.
You have a vast existing network of corporate contacts in key markets, including the US, which will be used to establish a prospecting pipeline.
Experience prospecting and landing new high-value partners in an international organization with a development/humanitarian mission is desirable. Experience prospecting new clients for a private sector company and/or agency is preferred.
Academic:You have a First University degree in Political Science, International Development, Development Economics, Marketing Communications, or another relevant field.
- You are fluent in oral and written English.
- You have an intermediate knowledge of another UN language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to cultivate relationships and influence senior decision-makers.
- You have superior ability in explaining complex issues to external partners, presenting the organization and diverse operations compellingly, including when to leverage the experience of internal stakeholders in a sales pitch, and understanding how to align the needs and interests of the organization with those of a corporate partner.
- You are highly adaptable to change and comfortable dealing with ambiguity, stress, and competing demands with grace and a sense of humor.