Hours: 32 to 40
Contract: One year, leading to permanent
Job function: Head of Communications
Job level: Senior executive
Salary: € 70,384 to 99,269 per annum
Based: Brussels, with weekly travel to Maastricht
ECDPM is an independent and non-partisan ‘think and do tank’ focusing on international cooperation and development policy in Europe and Africa. Our main areas of work include peace and security, migration, governance in Africa, food security, economic transformation and EU external affairs.
Our more than 70 staff members from over 25 countries worldwide provide independent research, advice and practical support to policymakers, advisors and practitioners in Europe, Africa and beyond – in order to make policies work for sustainable and inclusive global development.
We are currently looking for a senior professional with drive, creativity and vision to lead our communications team, which plays an essential role in our mission to make development policies work. Our ideal candidate is a senior communications expert who is passionate about global development, knows how to navigate a challenging political and policy landscape and is a team player and strong networker with excellent strategic, social and communicative skills. If you match this profile, then you may be the person we are looking for.
As our Head of Communications you will be responsible for ECDPM’s corporate and programme communications on a strategic and operational level, as well as for media and stakeholder relations. You will strengthen ECDPM’s reputation and market position and enhance the visibility, uptake and impact of ECDPM’s work among policymakers, practitioners and the media. You will lead and mentor a medium-sized team of professionals and work closely with the programme managers and staff. You report directly to ECDPM’s Director and will be a member of the management team and programme management group.
We believe that diversity is good for our people and our business and promote diversity and inclusion among our staff members and candidates. We offer attractive primary and secondary employment conditions.
More details about the position can be found below. If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a completed application form, your CV and a cover letter to Karen Gielen (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 16 January 2017, 17:00 CET. Incomplete or late applications will not be taken into account. Please note that interviews will be held within two weeks after the application deadline. The preferred starting date for the position is 1 March 2017.
Your responsibilities as Head of Communications will include:
- Enhancing the visibility, uptake and impact of ECDPM’s work among policymakers, practitioners and the media
- Developing, implementing and evaluating ECDPM’s corporate and programme communications strategies, in close cooperation with the management team and programme managers
- Managing ECDPM’s print, digital, website and social media communications at the corporate and programme levels
- Strengthening ECDPM’s reputation and market position
- Ensuring strong relations with the media (mainly EU and Africa-based media, as well as Dutch media)
- Leading the communications team
- Providing editorial leadership and direction for ECDPM’s Weekly Compass newsletter and GREAT Insights bi-monthly magazine, working closely with programme managers on content
- Increasing ECDPM outreach to new policy audiences
- Writing and editing of concise and attractive announcements for ECDPM events, of key publications and of press releases
- Ensuring the quality of ECDPM’s publications, in cooperation with programme managers
- Ensuring that ECDPM messages are consistent and aligned with strategic priorities
- Providing strategic communications advice and support to senior members of the organisation
- Ensuring strong relations with internal and external stakeholders
- Representing ECDPM to third parties and participating in relevant networks
- Coordinating communications activities and providing organisational support for key ECDPM events or flagship projects
- Ensuring effective work and budgetary planning for the communications department
- Identifying opportunities for funding and supporting fundraising efforts
Qualifications, skills and personal attributes
You are the person we are looking for if you meet the following essential criteria:
- You have a master’s degree or postgraduate qualification in communications or journalism
- You have at least ten years of relevant experience, including five in a senior communications role
- You have at least ten years of experience of working in an international environment, preferably in a non-profit, policy and/or development context
- You have experience and knowledge of the EU policy scene and know how to maneuver this scene in a politically sensitive way, as well as maintain networks
- You have a broad media network and thorough understanding of how the media operates (the EU media in particular)
- You have the ability to transform knowledge and information into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels
- You have the ability to tailor communications for fundraising purposes
- You are aware of the latest trends in communications (print, digital, website and social media) and of recent global developments
- You are an excellent verbal communicator, writer and editor
- You are an inspiring leader, manager and mentor with strong organisational and motivational skills
- You are a strategic thinker with commercial awareness and insight
- You know how to reconcile conflicting views and take a collaborative approach
- You are a native English speaker with good knowledge of French
It would be desirable if:
- You have a passion for, experience with and knowledge of global development, in particular the areas in which ECDPM engages (migration, EU external affairs, peace and security, governance in Africa, economic transformation and food security)
- You have knowledge of the African and Dutch policy scenes
- You are a strategic networker and possess diplomatic sensitivity
- You are a hands-on and flexible person
- You have strong interpersonal skills
- You are a team player and non-hierarchical, promoting cooperative approaches
- You have an eye for innovation and opportunities and welcome creativity
- You have practical experience in strategic communications around events
- You have experience with change management
Knowledge of the Dutch language and of the African and Dutch media landscape would be an asset.
HOW TO APPLY:
if you are interested in applying for this position, please send a completed application form, your CV and a cover letter to Karen Gielen (email@example.com) before 16 January 2017, 17:00 CET. Incomplete or late applications will not be taken into account. Please note that interviews will be held within two weeks after the application deadline. The preferred starting date for the position is 1 March 2017.