Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
MSF has been working continuously in Lebanon since 2008. Today our operational teams work all over the country delivering quality, free of charge medical care to those who need it.
MSF Lebanon Branch office is part of the MSF international movement. Our team is composed of 20 full time employees based in Beirut and Cairo working together in the areas of international field recruitment, communications and medical operational support.
From Lebanon and Egypt, we work regionally and contribute globally to MSF’s medical humanitarian response.
Place within the organisation:
- Reporting to the Executive Director of MSF Lebanon Branch Office
- Supervises and manages the Beirut/Cairo Communications Hub.
- Works in close collaboration with MSF missions and regional communications staff including
- MSF branch office in Dubai (UAE) and MSF communications hub in Amman.
- Works in close collaboration with MSF Lebanon Field HR and Medical Operational Support teams towards common strategic objectives.
BACKGROUND & OBJECTIVES
This position is an exciting opportunity to lead an incredibly talented team at the heart of MSF’s MENA communications network. The work of the Communications team is central towards building MSF’s identity and profile in Lebanon and the region.
- To lead, supervise and support the Communication Team based in Beirut and Cairo.
- To design and lead strategies aimed at profiling MSF in the region, with the objective of increasing visibility and building credibility of MSF as an international , independent, medical humanitarian organization.
- To oversee institutional communication efforts and to contribute toward the development of initiatives that help advocate on behalf of populations and patients in the region.
- To work closely with the Head of Human Resources in designing communication strategies aimed at boosting recruitment efforts.
RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS Responsible for
- Establishing and maintaining MSF’s brand and identity in Lebanon in close collaboration with operational communication colleagues, recruitment teams and other internal stakeholders.
- Inspiring an adapted and locally produced communication approach in the region that takes into account adapted tone, tools, messages and vocabulary.
- Oversee the development of an overall communication strategy that highlights MSF regional and international activities and messages, as well as institutional objectives with a focus on recruitment
- Making sure the Communications team understands the link between daily activities and overall strategies.
- The well-functioning and efficiency of the communication team.
- In collaboration with the operational communication colleagues in the region and headquarters, ensure adapted and efficient support is provided to MSF operations in the region.
- Follow communications issues within the MSF movement by actively participating in international meetings, initiating and participating in discussions on communications and MSF messages.
- Provide input and strategic advice on MSF communications initiatives in and about the MENA region.
- Design, develop and oversee the implementation of a communications strategy aimed at raising the visibility and understanding of MSF in and from Lebanon.
- Ensure Communication activities are in line with institutional priorities of the MENA Hub in Lebanon.
- Identify opportunities for communicating on MSF activities beyond the region within Egypt and Lebanon.
- Act as a spokesperson for MSF in the media.
- In collaboration with MSF missions in Lebanon, develop and implement institutional public profiling campaigns in Lebanon in order to raise awareness of specific issues and to raise the profile of MSF as an organisation.
- Oversee the cultivation of a regional talent pool/network
- Feed operations with insights and analysis on MSF positioning in the MENA region
- Ensure MSF’s communications strategy responds to the main trends and innovations in digital communications technology.
- Oversee editorial process to ensure the accuracy and quality of external content, including the drafting of materials for external audiences such as opinion editorial articles, position papers, recruitment campaigns, for national print and online media, on-line social media, MSF and other publications.
- Oversee all department requirements in terms of human and financial resource management.
- 3 to 5 years managerial work experience
- Fluent in Arabic (both spoken and written)
- Senior experience in media management & willingness to act as a spokesperson on complex and challenging medical humanitarian issues
- Experience in journalism, communications or public relations
- Knowledge of communications theory and best practice
- Experience and knowledge of development, implementation and management of digital strategy and tools
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and report relevant information clearly and concisely
- Diplomatic and patient nature
- Flexibility to travel
- Analytical skills
- Strong networking ability.