Head of East and Southern Africa Region
British Red Cross, City of London, United Kingdom
Closing Date for Applications:
This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic senior leader to play a strategic role in the International Directorate of British Red Cross. The Head of Region (HoR) defines the vision, identifies and catalyses opportunities in line with the International strategy and adapt to East and Southern Africa region (ESA), needs and context.
Using your considerable experience of humanitarian and development assistance, you will lead a team of international and local staff, based in the UK and across the region, to deliver the British Red Cross's strategy for the region. You will seek to contribute to the development of Red Cross Movement capacity, whilst maintaining an overview of other humanitarian risks and threats across the region.
Reporting to the director of programmes and partnerships, you will work closely with the other heads of region ensuring consistent approaches to our engagement with RCM partners and other actors across the regions. You will also work closely with the Head of the Emergency, Surge and Technical Advisory to ensure good practice and effectiveness in all British Red Cross supported programmes.
More about the team
- The Head of Region role sits within the Programmes and Partnerships department and provides oversight of our relationships and support, including disaster responses, to Red Cross Movement partners. The department works in partnership with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and the International Committee o f the Red Cross (ICRC). The department functions internally within a matrix relationship of technical advisers and policy professionals, located in other teams within the International Division.
- East and Southern Africa (ESA) is one of the four regional teams that sit within the International Directorate at the British Red Cross. Currently, we have two cluster offices based in Nairobi, Kenya (East Africa Cluster Office) and Harare, Zimbabwe (Southern Africa Cluster Office), as well as a small suboffice that has recently opened in Windhoek, Namibia. In 2020, we will be looking to further consolidate our work in those countries but also expand our partnerships to better meet the aims outlined in the new International Strategy that was adopted in June 2018 and revised in August 2020.
What we’re looking for
- Whilst ideally you will be familiar with the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, for this senior management role, you will have considerable experience of working within the humanitarian and international development sector at a strategic level, including overseas experience in both emergency response and long term programmatic roles.
- You will have a strong knowledge of vulnerability issues and humanitarian architecture within the region (such as chronic hunger, migration and displacement), significant experience of leading and developing teams, including management of multi-cultural and geographically dispersed teams and developing strategic partnerships in developing countries.
- You will be confident representing the organisation at a strategic level and be able to demonstrate evidence of networking and engagement with institutional and private donors with diploma cy and influencing at a senior level to shape policy.