ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
- Oversee the operations of the Finance department, including the formation of a high functioning team empowered with the required skills adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives;
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures;
- Manage general ledger, balance sheet and cash management processes;
- Monitor transactions to partners;
- Ensure compliance with local regulatory and tax legislation;
- Engage in ongoing cost reduction analyses in all areas of the organization including cost recovery on grants and advising on same to programme;
- Engage in benchmarking studies to establish areas of potential operational improvement
- Ensure proper document archiving system in place.
- Ensure that sufficient funds available for ongoing operational and capital investment requirements;
- Ensure robust cash and banking processes are available at field level;
- Maintain banking relationships.
- Manage the preparation of the Country budget;
- Lead Regular preparation of BVA report and the reasons for those variances;
- Assist development of proposal budgets while ensuring full activity costings;
- Assist management in the formulation of its overall strategic direction;
- Manage the capital budgeting process, based on constraint analysis and discounted cash flow analysis.
Grants financial management
- Ensure accurate donor reporting;
- Manage a comprehensive document management (FADS, donor report, donor communication, contracts, amendments, field reports, asset transfers) and oversee grant audits
- Ensuring proper systems controls and monitoring are in place.
- Interpret the organization's financial results to management and recommend improvement activities;
- Review organization bottlenecks and recommend changes to improve the overall level of organization throughout;
- Create all financial analyses including a Budget versus Actual (BVA) on each sponsored Program Area and on all grants on a monthly basis;
- provide cost recovery report on a monthly basis and all other financial tracking information as requested by management for effective implementation of grants and programmes.
Capability Building and People Management:
- Provide overall vision and direction to the development of finance team in coordination, planning, prioritization, coaching and supervision.
- Support staff to understand and comply with the organizational vision, mission, strategic direction and other organization policies.
- Ensure the finance team operates as high-performance team and have clear accountability lines (direct and matrix)
- Socialize and nurture Plan Values and Behaviours.
- Create an enabling working environment across different department unites to foster excellent teamwork and high performing staff.
- Create a safe working place safeguarding.
- Establish, communicate and monitor standards of performance and behaviours of the team through development of Individual Accountability Plans (IAP), and key performance indicators (KPI’s) that are agreed annually, and monitored and updated regularly.
- Support team members to gain the necessary skills through learning and development
- Lead the team in line with the Country HR Manual and other guidelines.
- Engage in the performance management of functional subordinates.
Internal Financial Controls:
Ensures appropriate financial controls processes, procedures and systems are in place and adhered to.
Follows up on audit recommendations and actions related to financial management.
Ensure finance related audit actions are implemented and alternative actions taken as required to address weaknesses in financial controls and procedures identified in finance and other forms of audit reports
- Within the scope of the role, there will be additional assignments as needed.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Ensures that staff are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded and applied in day-to-day work of the team;
- Ensures that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
- Setting and communicating ambitious but realistic work goals and priorities, explaining how these contribute to Plan International's purpose.
- Setting high standards for self and others' behaviour, inside and outside work. Championing our values and commitment to rights, gender equality and safeguarding. Supporting the health, well-being and both physical and psychological safety of our staff, including their safety to speak out.
- Holding self and others to account for what we have agreed, dealing with poor performance quickly, firmly and constructively.
- Creating a positive team spirit, helping people work well together, to reflect and continuously improve the efficiency and quality of what we do.
- Collaborating with team members, colleagues and partners in finding creative solutions to problems by sharing information, experience and ideas and actively seeking their input.
- Motivating and developing others by taking an interest, giving constructive feedback and praise, ensuring they are properly trained and helping them develop their potential.
- Positive about change and supporting others in adjusting to it, helping them understand.
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES
- Articulates the purpose, values, and global strategy to a range of audiences. Can explain how Plan International will deliver on its objectives through the theory of change and communicates the implications for their team.
- Understands the purpose, lines of accountability and decision-making capacity for each structural element of the organisation. Helps their team to understand where they sit within the organisational structure.
- Considerate of the political, economic, social and cultural climate of the local operating environment and the implications for our work and are aware of the local business environment, including financial, employment, and business laws.
- Advanced knowledge of programmes according to Plan International’s financial management procedures, including: the grant agreement process, the cost recovery process, forecasting, cost allocation principles, apportioned costs and scheduling and monitoring of expenditure, reports against programmes and budgets in line with the Funding and Sponsorship Agreement Document (FAD) and (SPAD).
- Understands digital enablers to improve team performance and working practices. Encourages digital behaviours through role modelling, the personal development processes and capability building. Uses digital and technological tools to support the management of risk, activities and resources, and people and information.
- Advanced knowledge of financial activities that comply with donor and organisational requirements, considering: waivers, permissions, document management and auditing.
- Keeps abreast of internal and external changes or developments and supports their team to adapt accordingly.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- A Master’s Degree in Finance/Accounting or similar field/CPA/Chartered Accountant.
- 10+ years' experience in a senior financial managerial position with a proven record of success preferably in INGO Sector or demonstrated equivalent combination.
- Proven experiences and ability to coordinate and collaborate with different civil society and Community based organization.
- Knowledge and understanding of the grants acquisition and management process and Finance’ role in this, including cost recovery processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of how to provide effective Finance support in the event of a disaster and how to prepare to do this.
- Up-to-date knowledge of the operating environment and skills in contextualizing operations.
- Eloquent appreciation of budgeting and budgetary control;
- Experience in leading team, coaching and mentoring, especially managing a large team.
- Excellent experience in conflict resolution.
- Results oriented and metrics driven
- Exceptional time management and able to solve problems
- Confident to present results to an audience
- Strategic thinking, planning and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to collaborate with upper management to organize, plan and achieve company financial goals
Qualifications/ experience desirable:
- Experiences in managing Humanitarian response;
- Ability to influence without power.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.