Head of Finance and Operations
Voluntary Service Overseas, Malawi
Closing Date for Applications:
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
Support the Country Director and providing leadership in managing the finances and operations of the Country Office.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- A Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA) with at least 5 years post qualification experience
- Skilled finance manager with knowledge of financial management of restricted donor funding, reporting, procurement procedure, grant management, grant equipment and donor rules and regulations for non-profit organisations .
- Experience of capacity building, demonstrating clear results.
- Experience of working in multiple foreign currencies and understanding of foreign exchange hedging.
- Strong leadership experience in budget management (including project budgets), financial planning and analysis. Strong knowledge of internal financial controls and year-end procedure. Knowledge of Internal, External and Project Audit. Strong attention to detail.
- Communication and Influencing Skills - Strong written and verbal communication skills - able to listen, analyse, present, consult, negotiate with confidence and obtain stakeholder engagement. Able to communicate complex financial information effectively to wide range of audiences. Experience of remote and cross-cultural communication, demonstrating sensitivity to cultural and language differences.
- Financial Business Partnering - Service oriented, customer focused approach. Experience of working in and understanding a global organisation, using knowledge to analyse and interpret financial information to support management.
- Risk Management - Experience of identifying and analysing financial and Operational risks.
- Decision Making and planning – Capacity for inquiry, research, logical and analytical thinking, powers of reasoning and critical analysis. Able to demonstrate sound judgement and a solution-focused approach, solving unstructured issues in unfamiliar settings. Able to consider implications of professional value, ethics and attitudes to decision making. Able to plan, juggle complex multiple priorities within restricted resources.
- Financial and IT Systems – Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel particularly. Use of accounting software and reporting packages.
- Customer Service – Experience of managing internal or externally focused customer services
- Office Management – Experience of office and logistics management
- Values – a commitment to VSO’s work and values
- Desirable – Malawi language or one of the ethnic languages from Malawi
- Experience of working in Southern Africa or in a developing country context