Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
POSITION Head of International Portfolio Management Department
AREA/DEPARTMENT Direzione International Programmes and Advocacy
PLACE OF WORK Save the Children Italia Onlus (Roma)
REFER TO International Programmes and Advocacy Director
PEOPLE MANAGEMENT Yes
BUDGET MANAGEMENT Yes
TYPE OF CONTRACT Fixed term
SALARY € 43.000 - 48.000 Gross Salary
CSP LEVEL 3
INTRODUCTION TO SAVE THE CHILDREN
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children.
OUR VISION is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation.
OUR MISSION is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives
Save the Children Italia (SC IT) was created as an ONLUS in 1998 and is now a prominent member of Save the Children International.
SAVE THE CHILDREN’S VALUES
ACCOUNTABILITY: We take personal responsibility for using our resources efficiently, achieving measurable results, and being accountable to supporters, partners and, most of all, children.
AMBITION: We are demanding of ourselves and our colleagues, set high goals and are committed to improving the quality of everything we do for children.
COLLABORATION: We respect and value each other, thrive on our diversity, and work with partners to leverage our global strength in making a difference for children.
CREATIVITY: We are open to new ideas, embrace change, and take disciplined risks to develop sustainable solutions for and with children.
INTEGRITY: We aspire to live to the highest standards of personal honesty and behavior; we never compromise our reputation and always act in the best interests of childre n.
To finance our work we depend on the support of the general public, volunteers, the corporate sector, governments and international donor agencies.
CHILD SAFEGUARDING POLICY
At Save the Children Italy we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. Save the Children believes that a child or young person should never experience abuse of any kind. We have a responsibility to work in a way that promotes the welfare of children and protects them from harm. Our Organization has a zero tolerance approach to any harm to or exploitation of a child by any of our staff, representatives or partners. Save the Children expects the highest standards of behavior from all its staff when dealing with children. Those who are representing Save the Children must adhere to the Child Safeguarding Policy, both in their private and professional lives
Save the Children Italy will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us.
As a senior member of the International Programs and Advocacy , the Head of Portfolio Management Department has a key role in delivering Save the Children Italy international strategy , with a high level accountability over the sound management of SC It international programme portfolio, the development of a sustainable portfolio in line with the strategic focus of SC It as well as management of the portfolio associated risks. In particular, he/she will have responsibility over the following key areas of Save the Children Italy International Programs:
· Management of IP Portfolio: guarantees that the development of the portfolio is aligned with Save the Children Italy strategy and contributes to COs and ROs strategic ambitions; guarantees that mechanism are in place for an optimal and efficient support to SCI program delivery; accountable for ensuring that risk mitigation strategies are developed; leads on SC Italy international portfolio budget and flexible funding allocations; is accountable for meeting SC Italy portfolio KPIs; leads a team that is responsible for an efficient and effective “end to end” awards management function, including overall compliance with institutional and non-institutional donors’ requirements.
· Support to Fundraising: ensures funding opportunities are channelled appropriately towards meeting SC Italy and COs strategic objectives; provides Go-No Go first level decision for IP over feasibility of funding opportunities, supports Donor engagement when necessary and ensures his/her team supports production of relevant content for FR, reporting to Donors and Comms needs
· Sponsorship: the IP Portfolio department leads on SC Italy IP engagement with Sponsorship programmes in line with the set strategy
Humanitarian: oversees the work of the humanitarian team ensuring delivery of the humanitarian strategy of SCIt and providing relevant support to SCI in delivering humanitarian responses
Programme Portfolio management and Award management:
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development:**
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATION
• Degree/Masters degree in relevant areas
• Extensive experience (minimum 10 years) in development and humanitarian sector in managerial roles, both in the field and head quarters
• Previous experience in an International NGO
Strong program management and budgeting skills and thorough knowledge of programmatic issues
Previous successful experience in people management
• Fluent in English and Italian, both written and verbal
• Capacity to relate to a different range of internal and external stakeholders
• Flexible and adaptable to changing context
• Pragmatic/solutions oriented/problem solver yet having strong analytical skills
• Capacity to navigate complexity
• Strong team player, able to work effectively with others towards the achievement of common objectives