Head of Programme
Norwegian Refugee Council, Niger
Closing Date for Applications:
Are you our first Head of Programme for the newly established NRC country programme - Burkina Faso and Niger?
NRC is currently in the process of starting up a new country programme covering the two countries, Burkina Faso and Niger. As NRC's Head of Programme, your main responsibilities will be to continue the start-up of NRC's new joint country office, and identify and attract the requisite funding to the programme as a quality operational humanitarian organisation in both countries. With this new country office, NRC is looking to develop a Sahel regional response approach, in conjunction with the solid programmatic presence in Mali. Considering the interlinked crisis dynamics and similarity in potential response strategies, the Head of Programme will also play an essential role in creating important operational synergies. You will report to the Country Director and be part of the country management group.
Duties and responsibilities
- Line management for Core Competence Specialists
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Development of Core Competency strategies that are aligned to regional and global priorities and strategies
- Development of holistic and needs based programmes, including cash-based interventions and marked based programmes as relevant and appropriate.
- Identify funding opportunities, develop funding strategies and forecasts
- Grants management, BPO allocations and reporting to donors, including compliance with donor standards
- Quality control, M&E and organizational learning
- In-country representation as delegated by the CD
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Deputize for the CD, when CD is in Niger
- Responsible for the development of the funding strategy in line with the country strategy and programme development needs.
- Support the program teams on the development of concept notes, project proposals, and budget development for scale-up and post emergency activities ensuring plans are in line with the country strategy and NRC policies.
- In conjunction with the Country Director, liaise with donors on new funding and operational areas of programming, and for all grant management and reporting requirements.
- Ensure NRC’s MEAL data collection systems are in place and information is properly stored and analysed and reported (e.g. GORS).
- Ensure the inclusion of cash-based interventions and marked based programmes in country and area-based strategies and their implementation across and within NRC’s core competencies, as relevant and appropriate
- Provide an enabling environment for the implementation of cash-based interventions, including multi-purpose cash assistance, emergency cash responses as relevant and appropriate.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience from a senior management position in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Core competency expertise
- Knowledge of cash-based interventions and market-based programmes
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Knowledge of and experience of working in the Sahel Region
- Experience of working in a neglected or forgotten crisis (with little or no media attention)
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Documented success of achieving significant donor funding in a start-up country
- Fluency in French and English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Strategic thinking
- Initiating action and change
- Handling insecure environments