Country Office Background
Since 2009, NRC has been providing humanitarian assistance and promoting respect for international law in one of the longest-running displacement crises in modern history. Through our work across the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and Gaza, we protect and assist Palestinians affected by, or threatened with, displacement. We provide legal counselling to promote human rights, and work to improve shelter, water and sanitation facilities and essential services. We support the provision of quality education, with a focus on psychosocial support for children and teachers, and help communities prepare for, and respond to, emergencies. We advocate for the rights of displaced Palestinians locally and internationally. We invest in coordination mechanisms to help improve the effectiveness and responsiveness of humanitarian action across Palestine.
NRC is now looking for a dedicated Head of Operations (HoO) that will be leading NRC’s work in Palestine.
For this key role our ideal candidate is:
- A highly experienced professional, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience working as a Senior Manager in humanitarian or recovery context. A university graduate with an advanced university degree in a subject relevant to humanitarian action, human rights, or refugees. Strong leadership skills are a must in addition to sound knowledge of the context in the Middle East, particularly Israel and Palestine.
- We are looking for a strategic thinker, who is able to handle high-pressure environments, can build trust and empower others, and who has the ability to build alliances and influence others. Having a good sense of humour is always a useful asset.
- The purpose of the Head of Operations (HoO) position is to manage and oversee NRC field operations and implementation of NRC programmes across the Palestine programme. The HoO also supports the Country Director in day-to-day management of the programme and contributes to clear, predictable and strategic leadership for NRC Palestine. Below is a brief description of the role:
- Line management for Programme Development Managers, grants, compliance and M&E team, as delegated by the CD;
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide programme input to Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Development of Core Competency strategies
- Development of holistic and needs based programmes
- Identify funding opportunities, develop funding strategies and forecasts
- Grants management, BPO allocations and reporting to donors, including compliance with donor standards
- Quality control, M&E and organizational learning
- Capacity building of all technical staff
- In-country representation
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Overall responsibility for programme development and implementation in Palestine;
- Responsible for contributing to the development and implementation of country strategy;
- Management of the programme support unit, including PDMs, M&E and grants, to ensure coordinated and integrated programmatic strategies and approach;
- Responsible for the coherence and quality of core competency programmatic input to all relevant processes and documents;
- Responsible for ensuring that the country monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) plan is developed and implemented;
- Responsible for ensuring sound and timely grants management through NRC’s project cycle management framework and in line with donor requirements and best practice;
- Accountable for development of donor proposals and budgets;
- Accountable for promoting cost efficiency to maximise impact of resources;
- Responsible for ensuring consistency and promoting synergy between program operations in Gaza and West Bank.