Oxfam is a global movement of people who won’t live with the injustice of poverty. Together we save and rebuild lives in disasters. We help people build better lives for themselves. We speak out on the big issues that keep people poor, like inequality, discrimination against women and climate change. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can live without poverty.
The Programme Portfolio Oversight & Development (PPOD) team works closely with others in finance departments and in Oxfam’s country teams and regional platforms, to drive and coordinate OGB’s global programme portfolio development and oversight, and gather and maintain programme information. It leads strategic, coordinated and managed investments of capabilities and resources, leads on the coordination of key operating relationships with countries and regions (including in programme governance), accompaniment and support for quality programme delivery; and ensures appropriate oversight, systems and reporting for corporate and donor accountability.
About the role
Reporting to the International Programmes Director, the Head of Programme Portfolio Oversight and Development will be responsible for:
- Providing effective, collaborative, empowering, visionary, strategic and inclusive leadership to the PPOD team to fulfil the responsibilities of Oxfam GB within the wider Oxfam confederation.
- Leading the continued development of the PPOD team, particularly in light of the recent review.
- Collaborating closely with other teams in Oxfam to develop the tools and processes to strengthen Oxfam GB’s role in management oversight and restricted contract management.
- Supporting relationships with countries and regions to ensure that Oxfam GB supports programme impact in line with the Oxfam’s Strategic Plan, and supporting effective working between all teams within the department.
- Ensuring Oxfam GB works closely with other Oxfam Affiliates in support of country and regional programmes in such a way that Oxfam GB adds clear value in the programmatic areas it has prioritised.
- Leading Oxfam GB’s approach to programme portfolio development including overall design and leadership of processes and frameworks to do this and leadership of programme portfolio development coordinators.
What we are looking for
- A highly developed, visionary, dynamic, inspiring individual with proven senior leadership and management skills at both the operational and strategic level.
- Senior programme leadership experience, including experience in the development of programmes and programmatic frameworks.
- Demonstrated experience in external engagement and relationship building within complex networked organisations.
- Leadership experience in programme quality, risk management and compliance, with a proven track record in these areas;
- Excellent people management skills, especially with diverse and geographically dispersed teams.
- Excellent skills and relevant experience in convening wider teams and groups, as well as diverse stakeholders, to work towards common goals, especially when there are diverse views, approaches and priorities;
- Advanced understanding of the social, political and economic issues affecting women’s rights, solid understanding and demonstrated experience both mainstreaming gender within programmes, as well as directly promoting gender justice and women’s rights throughout programme implementation, and in organisational practices.
- A working knowledge of French, Spanish or Arabic is desirable, though not essential.
- Location: OXFORD (OXFAM HOUSE)
- Hours: 36 hours per week
- Salary: Competitive
- Region: IPT Hub
- Job Family: Programme
- Division: International
- Job Type: Open ended
- Closing Date: 10 December 2018
How to apply
If you are interested in finding out more, or for information about how to apply, please visit the link below:
Oxfam is committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We are committed to zero tolerance of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuses of power in our organisation. This means that we will do everything in our power to prevent it from happening, and rigorously address it each and every time it happens. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us. Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate vetting checks.
Candidates must possess and retain the right to work in the UK.