Head of Programmes
Danish Refugee Council, Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
About the job
The Head of Programme manages the Programmes Unit in Cox’s Bazar and coordinates closely with the Area Manager of the field site, along with technical staff. The Head of Programme position is based in Cox’s Bazar, with regular travel to Dhaka and field visits. The position, which reports directly to the DRC Country Director, is a key role on the Senior Management team and is expected to act as Country Director during gaps or absences. The Head of Programme is responsible for the following:
- Responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation. Ensures strategic coherence and vision of the whole country programme, based on active participation in the drafting of the DRC Strategic Programme Document and as part of the Senior Management Team
- Provides technical expertise to the entire country operation and ensures the Bangladesh Country programme portfolio is executed on time, on budget and delivers the expected outputs, outcomes and impact
- Ensures a strong and consistent DRC technical representation in the Cox’s Bazar and Dhaka based Humanitarian Architecture (clusters, technical working groups, ad-hoc programmatic groups, etc.)
- Ensures DRC maintains and builds strategic relations with our current and potential donors (formal and informal communications)
- Line manages the technical coordinators for each sector, the grants management department, the monitoring and evaluation department, and actively participates in recruitment of technical staff in the areas where the implementation is taking place
- Ensures close liaison on programmatic issues with the current programme donors beyond contractual reporting requirements
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate should have a min of 7 years experience within a similar role overseeing a complex emergency and development programme preferably working on displacement issues. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Min 5 years management experience, of which at least 3 should include management of a portfolio of programmes across multiple sectors
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks
- Strong experience in programme development and proven program development abilities with key donors
- Proven experience of representing externally to key stakeholders, including donors, embassies and clusters
- Experience of leading strategic programming and planning processes
- Experience of managing systems and tools to oversee complex project portfolios across different sectors and locations as well as within consortiums
- Relevant University Degree, Masters or post-graduate in international relations, Humanitarian Programs Management, degree, political science, international development and/or similar field
- Ability to live and work under pressure in a rapidly changing and sometimes insecure environment
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.