Danish Refugee Council is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Programmes for their Sudan operation.
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The Head of Programmes will be responsible for the overall management and delivery of a range of projects. The Head of Programmes will ensure the agreed targets and objectives of country projects are met while ensuring the quality and cohesion of project outputs.
The Head of Programmes is also responsible for overseeing financial management of projects and, in collaboration with the Head of Support Services, reporting on programmatic and operational progress to the Country Director, as well as Head Office, donors and other key stakeholders. The Head of Programmes will represent Danish Refugee Council in country to key stakeholders and will ensure effective relationships and partnerships with a wide range of partners including UN agencies, NGOs, INGOs, government, international development agencies and others.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Project Management and Development
- Responsible for project activities within the programmes, ensuring good implementation and Project Cycle Management processes within the country team, and that there is a distinct cycle of learning and development in the DRC program.
- Take a lead role on proposal and strategy development, delivering strategic and operational input to policies, processes and standards within respective areas, where decisions are of a tactical and operational nature within a defined scope
- Enable and oversee the implementation of policy or activities considered critical to the achievement of organisational objectives, providing necessary surge capacity for each office in Central Darfur to ensure DRC achieves deliverables according to project plans and budgets, working closely with other Area Managers based in Central Darfur.
- Enabling and overseeing effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirement
- Coordination with Area Managers and Programme Specialists to ensure the implementation of the program.
- Lead assessments for emergency or longer term programming in existing or new project locations
- Lead the planning and development of concept papers, budgets and project proposals with support from country team
- Ensure that relevant beneficiary data is collected, compiled, analyzed and distributed and that relevant assessments are conducted in the project area
- Provide regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations
- Deliver inputs to programme strategy and identify opportunities for new projects
- Take a lead in the development of programme strategy, conceptualizing, developing and documenting sectoral and local strategies in close co-operation with Programme Advisors and the Country Director
- Ensure effective coordination and visibility of the implementation of the projects with all humanitarian and development actors, including local partners and authorities.
- Ensure that the DRC Darfur program is implemented in accordance with DRC standard regulations and operational procedures
- Ensure that at all times contact with beneficiaries, target groups and representatives of authorities is conducted in a sensitive and respectful manner
- Lead accountability improvement processes and Core Humanitarian Standard compliance in country
- Implement and oversee the DRC administrative guidelines and policies, safety and security procedures, logistics support and other tasks associated with efficient day-to-day running
Finance, Procurement and Administration
- Follow up and monitor programme budgets
- Review and authorise programme financial documents, including reviewing vouchers and supporting documentation in line with IDRA
- Ensure familiarity with DRC’s Operational Handbook
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
- Coordinate with the M&E team to build programme quality through learning
- Train and support field teams to implement integrated monitoring and evaluation processes in coordination with M&E staff
- Supervise implementation of the projects by monitoring and evaluation (quality control, monitoring objectives and indicators) to ensure that activities/projects are implemented in accordance with agreed strategies, principles, implementation plans, and donor requirements
- Increase the visibility of DRC’s program in the area and maintain close relations with all relevant stakeholders including donors as agreed by the CD
- Ensure correct and timely narrative and financial reporting to donor in coordination with the Grants Manager
- Support Area Managers and Country Director in identifying partnership opportunities and maintains oversight of local partners concerning activities and implementation
- Stay abreast of developments in the humanitarian environment in Sudan and provide timely analysis on key issues on a regular basis
- Lead and manage the programme staff under direct supervision (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Provide technical guidance and support to other employees in same technical area, who report to a different Manager
- Advise on and promote understanding and application of DRC policies, procedures and principles.
- Support Area Managers and field teams with capacity building and improving quality of programme implementation, including training and development of programme teams
- Participate in relevant staff recruitment process, new staff on-boarding and induction process, capacity building, and performance appraisal of programme staff
All employees should master DRC's core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
- University degree or higher education in social sciences or a related field
- At least 5 years of proven international experience in managing program operations
- Detailed understanding of humanitarian and protection principles and their application, including community safety and rights-based approaches
- Extensive practical experience working with all steps of project cycle management (needs assessments; proposal writing and development; implementation; monitoring; reporting and evaluating)
- A willingness and proven ability to nurture staff development and build capacity.
- Ability to communicate key programming concepts and messages in clear, contextualised and practical terms
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Experience with proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of humanitarian, technical and accountability standards and guidelines
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.