Head of Programmes
Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO), Maputo, Mozambique
Closing Date for Applications:
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
VSO Mozambique is seeking an experienced, highly motivated and ambitious development professional who will raise the profile of VSO Mozambique and take VSO’s country programme to the next level in terms of scale and impact. You will play a leading role in the delivery of VSO Mozambique’s country strategic plan.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Lead the business development process of the programme focusing on the delivery of the country strategy.
- Support the Country Director with the implementation of the country strategic plan and programmes.
- Ensure employees and volunteers are engaged and aligned with VSO’s global vision, mission, values, strategic directions and business plan.
- Foster effective ongoing communication between Programme Managers and volunteers in country.
- Take a lead in and support the annual programme planning and budgeting process.
- Mentor program managers and officers in developing innovative programme proposals targeting key priority programmes to maximise the external funding base.
- Coach team members to develop results based project budgets.
- Lead the design and development of strategic programmes and projects.
- Build internal capacity for appropriate monitoring and evaluation mechanisms to determine impact, and ensure continuous development and learning takes place.
- Support the programme team to develop, manage and monitor programme budgets
- Lead and train the team on grant management, ensuring donor compliance is fully adhered to and donor reports are completed on time and are of a high quality.
- Lead the programme team in assessing, negotiating, maintaining and reviewing relevant partnerships.
The Essential requirements for this post are:
- Substantial senior level programme leadership and management experience for leading NGOs.
- Strong leadership experience in strategic planning and programme delivery.
- Significant and demonstrable experience in developing successful proposals for a wide range of bilateral and multilateral donor grants.
- Successfully managed the implementation and reporting of multiple donor grants.
- Extensive experience in managing highly motivated teams.
- Substantial experience in financial management of donor grants.
- Extensive representation and profile raising experience with external stakeholders at all levels.
- Excellent networking, negotiation and communication skills.
- A minimum B.A. Degree majoring in Social/Economic Development or a Degree in Business Management or related field from an accredited University.
- Technical expertise in the area of health and education.
- Able to travel and work long hours