Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Position Title : Head of Project Coordination
Duty Station : Cairo, Egypt
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 31 December 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, the successful candidate will oversee all activities conducted by the Project Coordination Unit and its staff, including but not limited to supporting project development, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and reporting; producing and disseminating public information; managing mission level data; and facilitating donor liaison.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Research and identify potential IOM Egypt programmatic opportunities, in cooperation with IOM Service Areas through Regional Office (RO) Cairo thematic specialists, relevant governmental authorities, international institutions/organizations as well as partner organizations in the public and private sector.
Understand and communicate donor priorities and funding opportunities in Egypt and propose the development of new projects that correspond to IOM's institutional and country-specific expertise, policies and strategies.
Undertake duty travel and field evaluations to monitor activities and assist in identifying programmatic gaps and incorporate findings to improve implementation and develop new programming for IOM Egypt in coordination with the Programme Manager as required.
Coordinate IOM Egypt programming across thematic units to ensure coherence, synergy and maximization of resources.
Regularly update and share tools that allow the mission to keep track of and facilitate project development, endorsement, project code issuance and timely commencement of projects.
Coordinate reporting requirements of the different projects; review, approve, and facilitate submission of all interim and/or final narrative reports to donors in accordance with IOM procedures and donor requirements in coordination with the relevant Project Managers, resource management, relevant Regional Thematic Specialists and Donor Relations Division (DRD) in IOM Headquarters (HQs).
Enhance Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of project activities through supporting Programme Managers and project staff to understand and apply appropriate tools in line with programmatic objectives and indicators.
Oversee the management and production of mission level data and material for programme activity evaluation and reporting as well as to advise programme management on challenges, opportunities and to propose potential areas for activity expansion and/or reorientation.
Coordinate the preparation of briefs and comprehensive reports to ensure timely dissemination of information on migration management issues in Egypt to the donor community, United Nations (UN) agencies and relevant non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Coordinate mission level reporting requirements to Regional Office and IOM HQ including completion of annual report questionnaires and inputs to Migration Initiatives.
Oversee communications and public information activities coordinated by the mission’s Public Information Officer along with the communications focal points designated by each head of unit.
Liaise with donors in order to strengthen their support for priority issues; including initiating pro-active outreach efforts, disseminating materials, undertaking appropriate follow-up action and analysing and reporting on impact.
Facilitate mission level strategic planning and strengthen the implementation of Results Based Management among programme staff through targeted training and capacity building activities.
Undertake duty travel relating to programme assessment, development and liaison with relevant counterparts.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, Human Rights, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in the field of project development and management with a Government or UN
agency, or a regional or international organization;
• Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation and experience providing training on results based management;
• Experience in implementing projects in the Middle East and/or North Africa;
• Acquainted with IOM procedures and templates for project development and endorsement, as well as implementation and reporting.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and Arabic is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 31 December 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 07.12.2016 to 31.12.2016
Requisition: VN 2016/252 (P) - Head of Project Coordination (P3) - Cairo, Egypt (54913027) Released
Posting: Posting NC54913057 (54913057) Released