Head of Project - Waste Management Chain (m/f)
Welthungerhilfe, Koidu, Sierra Leone
Closing Date for Applications:
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of 18 months. There are good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Koidu, Sierra Leone.
The project in Koidu town focuses on the implementation of the integrated Liquid and Solid Waste Management Chain in cooperation with the Koidu City Council. As Head of Project you will be responsible for the coordination, planning and operative implementation of the project while ensuring an appropriate use of funds as well as a correctly and duty reporting to Welthungerhilfe's Country Office and donors. The project is carried out in accordance with Welthungerhilfe standards and the directives/provisions of the co-financer.
- Ensuring that all project relevant support (monitoring, logistics, finance administration, etc.) is in place
- Carrying out the project planning, implementation, monitoring and the project's financial control
- Reporting to the Country Director/Area Manager/Program coordinator on the progress of the project(s)
- Participatory development of Waste Management Policies aiming at reduction, collection, reuse, recycling and safe disposal of waste
- Strengthening the enforcement of policies through participatory development of related rules and regulations for waste management at city level
- Advisory on technical implementation of the sustainably managed, integrated liquid and solid waste management chain development at Koidu town level
- Advisory on the development of sustainable and cost recovering fee schemes for integrated waste management at Koidu town level
- Representing Welthungerhilfe in relevant fora/clusters at state and national levels and within the humanitarian community
- A university or polytechnic degree in development/humanitarian aid or qualifications that are commensurate with this position
- A minimum of 5 years of project and management experience in carrying out transitional/development projects with international aid agencies
- Professional experience in technical and financial advisory at secondary town level
- Broad knowledge of intergrated liquid and solid waste management chain
- Coordination and organisational skills - even under a high workload
- A high level of resilience and readiness to travel to areas with volatile local conditions
- Excellent spoken and written English, German language skills would be an asset
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. This includes flexible working hours as well as working from home. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale.