Head of Resources
(leave cover for 8 months)
15 OCTOBER TO 30 JUNE 2018
CONCORD is the European confederation of Relief and Development NGOs. We are made up of member organisations: 28 national associations, 20 international networks and 3 associate members that represent over 2,600 NGOs, supported by millions of citizens across Europe.
We are the main interlocutor with the EU institutions on development policy.
We are a not for profit organisation, registered under Belgian law as an a.i.s.b.l - Association Internationale Sans But Lucratif - (An international not for profit association).
CONCORD is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit. We strongly encourage persons with disabilities to apply.
We are looking for a person who: is keen to lead a team of committed administrative professionals responsible for ensuring that CONCORD’s financial, administrative and human resources are managed effectively and that our organisation continues to develop in a spirit of mutual support and solidarity. This role is key in overseeing and implementing our resources successfully, in line with all our statutory and social obligations and in keeping with our vision of a world in which poverty and inequality have been ended and decisions are based on social justice, gender equality and upon our responsibility to future generations. Your rigorous dedication to CONCORD’s accountability in compliance with the relevant funding rules and accounting principles will be critical as will your knowledge of Belgian legislation to manage all human resources related issues for a dynamic team of 14 permanent staff.
You will have:
- Substantial experience in leading a team responsible for an organisation’s finances, administrative and human resources,
- A keen desire to motivate people to perform to the best of their possibilities, in an environment of harmony and serenity, encouraging professional growth, discovery and development;
- Excellent budget oversight skills with a proven track record of monitoring and reporting on grants and/or public funding;
- Knowledge of current EC grant management;
- Understanding of accounting and of book-keeping in a Belgian organization;
- Understanding of HR management and familiarity with relevant Belgian legislation;
- Rigorous organisational skills, with an interest in developing and improving methodological and constructive ways of working;
- Excellent communication skills with a good command of English and French
- A commitment to CONCORD’s accountability and to the effective use of our resources;
Main responsibilities and tasks
- To lead and support the Finance and Resources team currently comprising a Finance Coordinator, an Accountant and HR Officer and an Events and Procurement Officer. You will identify objectives on both a weekly and monthly basis, ensure clear and appropriate divisions of labour, ensure work loads are manageable, and that the team’s ways of working are effective and, where necessary, improved upon. You will also support the work and well-being of each team member so that they can carry out their job to high standards and continue learning and developing professionally.
- This may also include the hiring of consultants for areas of work that need to be contracted out.
With the team you will be responsible for:
- Budget and Grant management
- Human resources management
- Office management
- IT infrastructure
- Organisational development
Full job description:
Financial, Budget and Grant management
With the support of the Finance Coordinator you will:
- Ensure we provide the requisite statutory information for the Belgian authorities, the CONCORD Board and General Assembly in a timely fashion;
- Act as secretariat focal point for our donors and grantees, including the EC;
- Oversee the production of financial reports for our donors and stakeholders;
- Monitor financial performance against budget to ensure budget oversight;
- Convene, support and liaise with the Financial Advisory Committee and the CONCORD Treasurer;
- Oversee the development and implementation of our financial strategy;
- Support and guide the director’s decisions when needed and ensure that quality financial information and analysis is generated by the team in a timely fashion;
- Authorize and signs off payments with the Director after the bills have been prepared by the accountant;
With the support of the Accountant you will:
- Ensure that CONCORD complies with Belgian’s accounting rules and regulations, files annual accounts and tax declarations, and liaises with Belgian authorities and external auditors as required;
- Ensure timely opening and closing of books;
- Ensure correct payment and processing of invoices;
- Monitor salary reconciliation;
- Oversee audits;
HR management & organizational development
With the support of the HR officer you will:
- Monitor the annual staff budget;
- Oversee the payroll and management of staff benefits;
- Maintain up to date working regulations;
- Oversee, review, update and implement all necessary human resources systems in compliance with relevant legal developments and current HR best practice, and ensure these systems are understood by staff,
- Oversee health and safety measures and provisions;
- Support the Director and staff in the full recruitment cycle;
- Continue to develop and implement “performance management systems” for CONCORD staff to promote learning and exchange through individual and collective training programmes arising from annual staff appraisals, and other feedback channels;
Office management, Procurement and Events:
With the support of the Events and Procurement Officer you will,
- Oversee our financial and procurement procedures for goods and services;
- Oversee our inventory of venues and hotels to ensure value for money;
- Oversee our IT infrastructure;
- Oversee CONCORD’s relationships with suppliers and Mundo-J’s building management;
Conditions of Employment:
- Post based in Brussels, Belgium
- 100% fixed term contract for 8 months
- Reporting to Director
- Grade – Department Head
- Gross salary, depending on experience, will be from € 3700 – 5600 per month (13.8 months a year). CONCORD also provides hospitalisation insurance, meal vouchers and a monthly commuting allowance on local public transport or by bicycle.
- Please submit your one page cover letter and CV by e-mail to kate.carpenter@concordeurope by midnight CET on Monday 11 September.
- Please include the position (CONCORD – Head of Resources) plus your name in the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Closing Date: 11 September 2017 midnight CET
- Interviews dates: 21 & 22 September 2017
- Aimed start date: 15 October 2017