Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Risk and Compliance.
As the head of the Risk and Compliance Secretariat you manage the Safety Unit, Code of Conduct Team, Risk Management and a number of Global Specialists working within selected areas of Risk and Compliance management in DRC’s international operations.
A major aim for the secretariat is to focus on providing expert advice and quality support to ensure that DRC fulfil its obligations for compliance and effective risk management in international operations. You will ensure always to have relevant, updated information regarding safety concerns and issues, and you will coordinate support to DRC programs dealing with situations of acute insecurity in the field.
The Head of Risk and Compliance Secretariat is a permanent member of the HQ Crisis Management Team.
Leading compliance and risk management efforts
You will be accountable to act as the “second line of defense” for the international business area’s risk management and selected compliance efforts. The second line of defense provides high quality data-supported analysis, risk & compliance management policies, and systems and training to management that allows prioritization of compliance and risk management efforts, thus assuring the right balance between inputs and benefits.
As a part of the role as Head of R&CS you:
- Will have a formal decision-making authority for DRC Safety. Your main responsibility is to follow industry best practice/standards, safety policies, systems, and safety training to management and staff.
- Will make sure that DRC has updated and relevant knowledge about debates and developments in safety thematic fora and be part of strategic alliances.
- Will produce position papers and advocacy messages for safety, risk and compliance
- Will manage the Code of Conduct Team, and oversee the development of policies, procedures, systems related to training, complaints mechanisms and investigations of CoC complaints.
- Are responsible for the systems and policies addressing prevention, detection and response related to corruption and other unethical conduct in the international operations as well as the provision of training strategies within this area.
- Monitor organisational compliance with key regulatory frameworks and reporting to management on status of key compliance areas.
- Provide support, coordination and training related to incident- and crisis management processes.
- Identify and address policy, capacity or procedure gaps which impact the appropriateness or effectiveness of Risk and Compliance management.
- Produce position papers and advocacy messages for safety, risk and compliance.
- Will be responsible for Information Management support to SMG, E-SMG, ID and the International Department within own areas of expertise.
- A motivating, highly skilled leader
To be successful in this role you need to:
- Have a Master’s Degree in Compliance, Security Risk Management, Law or related field relevant to the position
- As a minimum have 10 years of experience in compliance and/or security risk management
- Excellent communication skills in English is required (fully fluent)
- Danish and French linguistic competences are an advantage
- As a person you need the ability to stay calm and professional in any situation. You have to be an agile team-oriented colleague able to handle – at times – intense work pressure. You need to have a strong initiative and be self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principles. Moreover you have to be motivated by working with competing demands under tight deadlines.
As a leader, you need to have the ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment. You:
- Are motivating and developing your team as well as providing sparring and acting with advice and guidance as needed.
- Are empathetic but also have a natural authority and can lead and support your team in a busy environment
- Understand the importance of establishing close and trustful relationships with stakeholders on all levels of the organization.
- Are business minded and thrive with strategic and analytical tasks, taking the lead on optimizing processes and concepts.
- You have a down to earth personality and possess integrity and credibility to inspire and lead others in developing their own high levels of integrity.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.