Head of State Office
United Nations Development Programme(UNDP), Jharkhand, India
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and Responsibilities:
As a member of the CO team, ensures strategic direction of UNDP state programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordinates and provides substantive contribution to key policy discussions at the state level to ensure priority issues are addressed.
- Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with counterparts with state government, UN Agencies, donor agencies and civil society organisations on issues related to UNDP’s work and mandate.
- Leads on programme formulation, proposal development and portfolio build-up at state level.
- Ensures UNDP’s work in the State will remain relevant and responsive to changes and latest developments in the country context.
- Responsible for managing the State Office and representing UNDP in partner meetings and official functions.
- Will be accountable to UNDP in ensuring the implementation of the state component of the Country Plan and related annual work plans.
Support key social and economic priorities of the state
- Identifies funding and Implementation opportunities to support priorities of the State from existing Donor, State and Private Funds.
- Builds support for key social and economic priorities through partnerships.
- Collects, analyses and presents information and data on social and economic priorities.
- Identifies and designs to overcome obstacles to effective implementation of policies and programmes.
- Continuous scoping of the development landscape in the state and translating opportunities into concrete Development Support Services funded projects in collaboration with relevant programme units and projects of UNDP.
- Identifies activities and areas of cooperation to support of effective implementation of State schemes or initiatives.
- Leads on state’s needs-assessment and broad scoping of work in discussion with UNDP programme team.
- Ensures that the programmes/ schemes are inclusive, participatory, creating better outreach and optimizing their impacts on the intended beneficiaries.
Ensures Partnership Building and programme expansion
- Supports UNDP resource mobilization and programme expansion in the State with a focus on supporting the State Government’s agenda and political and social priorities.
- Advocates for UNDP with government counterparts, donor community and on private and public sector partnerships in the state
- Coordinates with other UN and bilateral partners to ensure complementarity of interventions and results
- Represents UNDP in state level in the context of partnership building.
Ensure that the ongoing UNDP programmes in the state are aligned with government priorities
- Translates of UNDP priorities into interventions at state and district levels.
- Measures and monitors the impact of UNDP’s work at the state level to allow for a continuous analysis of the programme environment as well as necessary readjustments of programme interventions.
- Continuously monitors and assesses development outcomes vis a vis all state level projects.
Ensure top quality Managerial Oversight and facilitates knowledge building in the State
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned.
- Identifies and documents lessons for replication and upscaling if applicable from district to city/state level.
- Ensures Financial Oversight and Coordination between various State Projects.
- Undertake any other task assigned by UNDP.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Development, Public and Business Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- 7-10 years of relevant experience with national government and/ or international level in project management, programme development and project design and implementation.
- Hands-on management skills and proven team leadership experience.
- Experience in leading office or sub-offices as part of a larger organisation or entity.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems..
- Fluency in written and oral English.
- Additional local languages will be an asset.
- Remuneration package is approx. Rs. 178,516/- per month (taxable).
- UNDP also offers additional benefits which include medical insurance coverage and limited pension reimbursement for contract holder and encourages work life balance to its employees.