Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly driven Head of Support Services to coordinate operations in their area of responsibility. The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been operational in Sudan since 2004. The programme focuses predominantly on the conflict-affected population living outside of camps in the rural areas. This role will suit a candidate with strong field experience in operations looking for senior management experience and the opportunity to influence the strategic direction of the organisation as a member of the senior management team. You will likely be resilient, a self-starter, and confident in providing strong leadership to the support services department.
The HoSS will ensure the existence of an effective and efficient support services in areas of Finance, Administration, Human Resources, IT and Supply Chain. A key priority of this role will be to ensure the country programme is compliant with DRC processes in finance, procurement, HR and logistics. This function is also responsible for ensuring staff across the operation are fully trained and conversant in DRC policy and acting within it. The HoSS will develop and implement country specific strategies as well as improving operational systems, processes and policies in support of DRC’s mission in Sudan.
The HoSS will be a member of the Senior Management Team, with overall responsibility of support to the programme and timely completion of annual performance indicators under support functions. The HoSS will play a significant part in qualifying and implementing initiatives coming from global and regional DRC organizational development and financial accountability initiatives. Furthermore, the HoSS will ensure timely and appropriate communication with Managers in Field Offices, Sector Managers and Project Managers concerning all issues related to finance, administration and human resources and work proactively to resolve problems and prioritize time-sensitive tasks. The HoSS will also act as a focal point for DRC Dynamics, the Danish Refugee Council’s new software system for managing support functions online.
About the job
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Lead and manage the Support Managers and provide technical support to Base Managers (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Manage, deliver and report on current operations programme support in geographic scope, including for example, that budget review meetings are taking place, that SMT is presented regular financial reports etc.
- Establish high performing support teams ensuring high-quality approaches are maintained
- Develop and improve operational approaches, compliance and systems, and support the Country Director to build and deliver effective and sustainable interventions.
- Responsible for the strategic development, management and implementation of the support operations
- Ensure appropriate technical support is available to programs, in line with organizational priorities
- Ensure support for annual planning and review processes
- Direct responsibility for ensuring that the DRC Programme operates in accordance with DRC’s support function guidelines.
Ensure that the Country Master Budget is updated on a monthly basis and is used to adequately prepare project proposals or cost cutting measures.
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team in liaising with donors and authorities, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration, and audit
- Oversee the operational support units for the country by providing strategic leadership and technical support to the areas under his/her supervision
- Supervision, audits and controlling and implementation of corrective actions related to DRC’s operational standards within support area.
- Ensure that DRC retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide rapid emergency response in particular within its procurement and transport systems
- Develop a risk management plan for the country that identifies the major financial and operational risks and implement a mitigation strategy
- Ensure that all administrative and legal-related systems are accurate and maintained
- Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the operation though frequent in-service training sessions and mentoring support
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DRC’s global development initiatives.
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure ERP functionality is properly used by relevant staff
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics to improve overall performance
- Act as heavy user for most of the Projects & Finance functionalities
About you:To be successful in this role we expect you to demonstrate the following competencies.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 5 years of senior leadership experience in operations management roles with at least 2 years of experience in a similar role in an international NGO
- Strong background in Finance and financial management essential
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management, teambuilding and capacity development
- Proven operational management experience and capability, including in conflict areas
- Proven significant financial, information and systems management experience
- Significant experience in procurement and tender processes
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results
- Understanding and experience of institutional fundraising
- Understanding of the countries in which DRC operates and sensitive to the cultural context
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Experience with proposal development, budget development, and budget management
- Excellent computer literacy required
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management.
- Proven operational management experience and capability, including in conflict areas.
- Proven operational experience in one or more of the following thematic areas: financial, supply chain, human resources and information management.
- Understanding of the countries in which DRC operates and sensitive to the cultural context.
- Experience working in an ERP system, including supply chain, finance and HR system.
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
- Ability to work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid environment: Cultural sensitivity and respectful of local contexts
- Proven experience in providing technical guidance and training including development of training materials