Head of Support Services
Danish Refugee Council, Khartoum, Sudan
Closing Date for Applications:
- Lead and manage the Support Managers and provide technical support to Base Managers (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Manage, deliver and report on current operations programme support in geographic scope, including for example, that budget review meetings are taking place, that SMT is presented regular financial reports etc.
- Establish high performing support teams ensuring high-quality approaches are maintained
- Develop and improve operational approaches, compliance and systems, and support the Country Director to build and deliver effective and sustainable interventions.
- Responsible for the strategic development, management and implementation of the support operations
- Ensure appropriate technical support is available to programs, in line with organizational priorities
- Ensure support for annual planning and review processes
- Direct responsibility for ensuring that the DRC Programme operates in accordance with DRC’s support function guidelines.
- Ensure that the Country Master Budget is updated on a monthly basis and is used to adequately prepare project proposals or cost cutting measures.
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team in liaising with donors and authorities, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration, and audit
- Oversee the operational support units for the country by providing strategic leadership and technical support to the areas under his/her supervision
- Supervision, audits and controlling and implementation of corrective actions related to DRC’s operational standards within support area.
- Ensure that DRC retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide rapid emergency response in particular within its procurement and transport systems
- Develop a risk management plan for the country that identifies the major financial and operational risks and implement a mitigation strategy
- Ensure that all administrative and legal-related systems are accurate and maintained
- Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the operation though frequent in-service training sessions and mentoring support
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DRC’s global development initiatives.
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure ERP functionality is properly used by relevant staff
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics to improve overall performance
- Act as heavy user for most of the Projects & Finance functionalities
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 5 years of senior leadership experience in operations management roles with at least 2 years of experience in a similar role in an international NGO
- Strong background in Finance and financial management essential
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management, teambuilding and capacity development
- Proven operational management experience and capability, including in conflict areas
- Proven significant financial, information and systems management experience
- Significant experience in procurement and tender processes
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results
- Understanding and experience of institutional fundraising
- Understanding of the countries in which DRC operates and sensitive to the cultural context
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Experience with proposal development, budget development, and budget management
- Excellent computer literacy required
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management.
- Proven operational management experience and capability, including in conflict areas.
- Proven operational experience in one or more of the following thematic areas: financial, supply chain, human resources and information management.