Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Support Services for our operations in Nigeria.
About the job
The Head of Support Services is Operationally and strategically responsible for overall direction and management of all support services in DRC Nigeria. The Head of Support Services will ensure the consolidation of effective and efficient support services in the areas of finance, administration, IT, human resources, procurement and logistics. He/She will play a key role in developing and implementing country specific strategies as well as devising, implementing and improving operational systems, processes and policies in support of DRC’s mission in Nigeria, in line with DRC international and regional operational standards and procedures. He / she will ensure timely and appropriate communication with Area Managers, Sector Managers and Project Managers concerning all issues related to finance, administration and human resources and work proactively to resolve differences and prioritize time-sensitive tasks.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Ensure DRC and donor financial regulations, procedures and documentation requirements are adhered to in DRC country operation.
- Provide overall financial planning support to Head of Nigeria Programme, advise on spending and financial spending strategies, provide accurate financial outlook of the programmes on a regular basis.
- Ensure inputs to budget development and guidance on overall financial management support to the budget holders.
- Check the integrity and robustness of financial procedures, possible mismanagement and suggest corrective actions to minimise losses.
- Implementation of a functioning, real-time master budget tool to Senior Management Team, and programme managers.
- Regulation and monitoring of the overall spending in the programme, cost sharing and administrative cooperation between projects and personnel.
- Ensure timely and accurate financial and administrative reporting to external parties, and to the headquarters.
- Management of transparent and effective interaction with banks and other financial institutions, and agreements with authorities favourable to DRC and its beneficiaries.
- Monitoring and regulating the movement of cash, liquidity management, the bank transactions and transfers, and the other personnel involved, beyond the set of internal controls.
- Ensure that all necessary agreements, permits and licenses necessary for DRC‘s operations (including VAT exemption) are in place and keep updated on national Administrative rules and regulations pertaining to the activities of DRC.
- Ensure implementation of Dynamics 365 financial management system at country level.
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics to improve overall performance
- Act as heavy user for most of the Projects & Finance functionalities
- Administrative leadership over effective implementation of the relevant aspects of the country strategy, ensuring procedural and system compliance, and paving way to organisational growth.
- Direct management of administrative and finance personnel at manager level, indirect management of the officers in field offices, and monitoring the conduct of other staff in relation to the rules and policies of DRC.
- Ensuring a timely and quality delivery of administrative and financial operations and services, through sound recruitment, firm internal controls and reporting, effective coordination between projects and personnel, will be essential.
- Ensure that effective HR policies are in place and implemented that are in line with DRC international and regional procedures and Nigerian labour law.
- Upholding and championing of the Code of Conduct among the personnel at country office and in field locations through personal example.
- Ensure a proper management of the payroll system Homère compliant to DRC regional HR policies is in place.
- Ensure a well-functioning staff complaint reporting and handling mechanism is in place.
- As a member of senior management team, ensuring that agreed measures for safety and security are in place and adhered to by all staff, including but not limited to the upkeep of MOSS standards, security and evacuation plans, and staff movement.
Logistics and Procurement:
- Provide supervision to country procurement and logistics inclusive of related information management and maintenance, requests for quotations, quality control and ensuring the set procedures are followed.
- Supervise country procurement and logistics personnel, and ensuring logistics team’s close cooperation with the admin/finances, human resources and programme departments to facilitate rapid delivery of appropriate relief items.
- Monitoring procurement procedures and ensuring that items are accounted for and quality/quantity controlled in stock reports and asset inventory management system.
- Ensure maintenance, dissemination of procurement and logistics reports on observations concerning staff conduct/performance and use of organisation’s assets; and DRC/DDG monthly reports on fuel, inventory, and equipment maintenance/repair and in stock reports.
- Ensure standardization and compatibility of all DRC Nigeria IT and communications equipment to ensure effective implementation, management and control of Information Technology strategies.
- Develop a network with other INGOs on support system related topics and ensure a proactive communication with all relevant stakeholders.
- Share and coordinate administration and finance related information with the Head of Programs and other staff, and attend any internal coordination meetings.
- Liaise with donors and government officials, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration and audit.
- Ensure timely communication with Regional Office and HQ, Project Managers and Sector leads in Nigeria concerning all issues related to finance, administration, HR, procurement and logistics.
- To be successful in this role we expect you to 7 years INGO or other international agencies experience in finance or operations management in international humanitarian programmes, a demonstrated ability to set up operational management systems in a large programme and direct experience of delivery of humanitarian programme in an emergency response.
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration, finance or accounting professional qualification such as ACCA or CPA.
- Excellent knowledge in reviewing major international donor reports and knowledge of major donor rules including UNHCR, WFP, ECHO, EC, DFID, DANIDA and USG
- Experience working in an ERP system, including supply chain, finance and HR system. Knowledge Dynamics 365 financial software will be an added advantage
- Possess strong accounting, analytical and conceptual skills.
- Proven management and leadership skills.
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- Understanding of the countries in which DRC operates and sensitive to the cultural context
- Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability committments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework into the work of DRC
- Experience working with donors and external relations
- Proven ability to mentor and coach others. Staff management is important in this position.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- The capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult and insecure circumstances.
- Procurement and supply chain management is desired
- Knowledge of working in challenging and insecure environments
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision.
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.